Interesting Kennedy Error - But What Type??

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just got through with a box of half dollars and got skunked. The only exception was this interesting coin. It appears to be some sort of planchet error, but one I have not come across before. There is a line cutting through Kennedy's nose, as well as the date. All details are soft on obverse and reverse. Surfaces are mottled and dark, absolutely no luster or wear to surfaces. Thoughts? Error coin is on the left in attached images along with an average Kennedy of similar vintage, but normal appearance.

Attachments

• 3TrGL.jpeg
    3TrGL.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • DSC_7816.JPG
    DSC_7816.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for the response! I must say, I tend to disagree that this is chemical damage. The appearance of the obverse field still looks struck, although this is impossible to photograph (you have to play with the light to see it). The way the "line" or lamination that cuts through Kennedy's nose is only on the obverse, and does not appear on the reverse, also hints toward a planchet issue in my mind (as opposed to being dipped in some chemical solution).

At the end of the day, you may very well be correct that this is simply chemical damage. This is a tricky one, hence the post. I couldn't find any known errors quite like it. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to review and comment!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the edge look like? If the copper core is eroded it is acid or some corrosive substance for sure.

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the edge look like? If the copper core is eroded it is acid or some corrosive substance for sure.
Great observation. I didn't even think of photographing the edge. Here it is. Not sure how decisive it is in this case. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• 20240209_181630.jpg
    20240209_181630.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 12

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting coin. I would think if it was chemical it would have appeared on the reverse too like you said.
👍
MM

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not if it laid in a small spot of it ON that side.... or rather... partially in something.

Contact with any number of a small amount of liquids... even in some cases contact with certain metals can cause a reaction.
If it layed on one side in a chemical though, would the line be straight?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'd have to say the edge doesn't prove anything, but it doesn't disprove anything either! My gut feeling is it's a chemical reaction of some sort, I just don't see anything in the minting process that could result in this. There are an unlimited number of things that can happen to a coin after it is struck though.

OP
OP
Fugio

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting coin. I would think if it was chemical it would have appeared on the reverse too like you said.
👍
MM

Looks like it was left in a jar of coin dip.

I guess I'd have to say the edge doesn't prove anything, but it doesn't disprove anything either! My gut feeling is it's a chemical reaction of some sort, I just don't see anything in the minting process that could result in this. There are an unlimited number of things that can happen to a coin after it is struck though.

Thank you all for having a look and providing your opinion on this one. The line through the obverse is what really had me thinking maybe this was a mint error. In the end, as with most things in numismatics, the most likely explanation is usually correct. In this case it is either a rarely seen minting/planchet error, or the coin was simply ruined via some sort of chemical reaction after being circulated. With your feedback, I am leaning towards the latter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread