Interesting Location

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
It would be interesting if people would say where they find things. Not the exact location but in a park, at a playground under the swings - bottom of the slide - at a merry-go-round, at the beach in soft sand - in wet sand, on a ball field, soccer field, along the sidelines, at an old abandoned home site, etc etc. I like hearing where people find stuff and it helps me to look more carefully. Here's an example of what I mean. I once found a silver ring at a ball field just about 2 steps off 2nd base going towards 3rd. Now usually I don't hunt on the playing field. I generally hunt the sidelines. But after reading that someone found a ring near the pitchers mound.... the next time I went to the ball field I found the ring just off second base. I LOVE the grass parking lots and anytime I find some place that still has those, you can be sure I will hunt those areas first. I found a Spanish coin (fake) near the concrete stop (don't know what else to call it) about 3 inches down in a grass parking lot. You don't have to give your favorite hunting site away but just give a description of where you find things. I bet it would sure help a lot of newbies and even some older ones as well. One other thing - not everyone puts where they are located. I don't need to know your home address but it would be nice to know that so & so is hunting in Illinois, this person is hunting in Kansas and I of course am in North Florida. ;)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm reasonably new to MDing and what you propose would be helpful to me. Since I will not be going out until it gets a little warm out I will let you know what areas have produced for me in the past. When I first started going to parks all I found was clad coins with the exception of one silver Washington quarter. The clad coins were my training grounds where I really learned how to locate and retrieve a coin without damaging it. practice, practice, practice. Once I felt that I was good enough to attempt old coins I started looking at the park differently. What parts of the park would be the hardest to get to and was it always that way. The local library helped with the 'was it always that way' part. I was able to find pictures of were people picnicked and old bridges over the rivers that were long gone. These picnic area were over grown with sticker bushes and to cross the river now you had to jump from rock to rock. Few of the local treasure hunters would go through the trouble and would stick to the open field where it was mainly clad with the occasional piece of jewelry. Once I started going off the beaten path the nice finds started. On the side of one river I found a 1944 Walking Half and four Mercury dimes. Using this method I located around ten mercury dimes before my first silver rosy turned up...not that I'm complaining.

Toward the end of the year I really wanted to find some coins pre 1900s so I changed my strategy again and started using old maps which has lead me to a few 1700-1800 sites. This is new territory for me but I've located two Indian Head pennies and one Large Cent. My goal for this year is to find my first 1800s or earlier silver coin and I want to do it within my first two hunts of the year. Well see what happens. Also it sometimes helps to approach an area from a different direction. There is one field that I've seen two or three other detectorists on and they were all searching parallel to the surrounding roads. If you are doing a grid search this makes it easier to make sure you are going in a straight line. I crossed the field diagonally from corner to corner. Yes it is harder to stay in a straight line but I turned up a Nice 1911 silver Chinese dollar from a field that most people think is hunted out.

During my first winter of research I've found that doing some on site scouting is much easier. I will find a site on an old map or in a book at the library then go out and see what is there. If it looks promising I will try to secure permission now so when the ground thaws I have the sites I want to hit lined up. I've even detected a few site but did not dig anything. If I get a really good signal I write down a few landmarks or even mark it with some natural item such as a rock or log. I'll see how this works out for me.

Good Luck Hunting
NJ

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
mumszie said:
It would be interesting if people would say where they find things. Not the exact location but in a park, at a playground under the swings - bottom of the slide - at a merry-go-round, at the beach in soft sand - in wet sand, on a ball field, soccer field, along the sidelines, at an old abandoned home site, etc etc. I like hearing where people find stuff and it helps me to look more carefully. Here's an example of what I mean. I once found a silver ring at a ball field just about 2 steps off 2nd base going towards 3rd. Now usually I don't hunt on the playing field. I generally hunt the sidelines. But after reading that someone found a ring near the pitchers mound.... the next time I went to the ball field I found the ring just off second base. I LOVE the grass parking lots and anytime I find some place that still has those, you can be sure I will hunt those areas first. I found a Spanish coin (fake) near the concrete stop (don't know what else to call it) about 3 inches down in a grass parking lot. You don't have to give your favorite hunting site away but just give a description of where you find things. I bet it would sure help a lot of newbies and even some older ones as well. One other thing - not everyone puts where they are located. I don't need to know your home address but it would be nice to know that so & so is hunting in Illinois, this person is hunting in Kansas and I of course am in North Florida. ;)

M,

agree. Just helps to paint the picture of the hunt.

have a good un.........................

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a standing liberty quarter at 10". My front yard. 3' back from the curb. The streets were rebuilt 2 years ago and were torn up 2' back from the existing curb. Missed never finding it by 1'......Found a buffalo nickel approximately 7' from my bedroom window. Front yard. 2" deep on top of a live root. I like a more detailed story sometimes too.

I think that some folks have lots of finds and that it can become a grind to be thorough in the description. I see your point and agree. Almost lost that SLQ forever!! ;) ;)

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at it for 30 years and I could give you a few pointers and I'm sure there are more treasure hunters that could add a bunch to it. If I'm looking around a house thats old enough to have had an out house I will check on a direct path from the back door to it because I saw an old man when I was a kid going at a fast trot toward the out house and was jerking his pants down before he got there. It must have been a real emergency, lol!!!...I always look for low spots and rotted out stumps where trees have been. I always search around every tree. If the old house had a wooden porch it is always a good idea to look under there. Along sidewalks, driveways, clothes lines, old tire swings and so on. On ball fields a good place to look is along the sidelines. You will find a ton of pull tabs but there's always goodies there. look around the trees there too because they will hunt for shade in the summer. I check under the bleachers as much as I can too. On play grounds at schools you can find good stuff anywhere. Check the wood chips around the swings and merry go round. Check steep banks where kids play king of the hill and roll down to the bottom, I've found some good stuff there many times. Old hiking trails are a good place to hunt. Walking tracks are good sometimes too. Church yards are one of my favorite places to hunt but be sure to always get permission to hunt before you go hunt anywhere. You can ask the local police or principal of the school you want to hunt. Have fun and go get the big one!!!

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
PERFECT! Now that's what I'm talking about. You don't have to go into a lot of detail but is sure is nice to know "where" something was found and helps other to hunt better. Thanks for taking this seriously. :D

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is nice for others to tell where they found items, but, there are many, many books on how and where to look for treasure.

H. Glen Carson "Coinshooting 2."
Charles Garrett "Lets talk treasure hunting."

If you google it you'll find all of them.

Reading one or more of these books will help you know where to look.

HH
Ken

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Yes, I know about the books. I also know that there are tons of info on the internet to tell people where to hunt. What I am saying is that people come in here to show what they've found and I would like them to say WHERE they found the item.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point made there. I'll try to give more detail about my finds. I probably won't be posting an earth shattering find but I'll try to give a little more detail. Thanks and have a good hunt!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I like you question. It should be very helpful to all who read this post, so I will share my findings also ;D

Since I detect mostly campgrounds, parks and the beach, in that order, I have discovered the a lot of my finds (mostly clad coins) can be found in grassy areas near where people park their cars. When pulling out the car keys, the coins get tangled up in the keys and fall to the ground.

This is especially true if the parking area is on grass. I have also had good luck near a local ball field. The area between the ball field exit and the paved parking lot is grass. Lots of lost coins.

I have gone to parks and hunted the usual areas under the slides and around the swings, only to come up empty, but when searching the grassy areas near the parking lot I find quite a few coins. Only tells me that these areas are not being searched, or at least not being searched well.

I also look for the open grassy areas near picnic areas where a friendly game of foot ball may have been played while waiting for the hot dogs and burgers to cook. Found a high school ring in one of those areas. Yep, I found the owner and returned it.

Happy Hunting 8) ;D 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread