Interesting note on depth.

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out detecting today.
One of my neigbors was digging a hole for a new septic tank.
I just happened to be passing by and this caught my eye.
I live in a heavily timbered area in Northwest Montana.
We are in dense forest with 50 to 100 foot tall trees as far as the eye can see.
If it weren't for the massive charred stumps you stumble on in the woods you would never know that a catasrophic fire wiped this whole valley out in 1910.
It has completely reverted back to heavy timber in the last 97 years.
What I found interesting about the septic hole was the line of heavy charcoal showing how much soil has accumulated and built up on top of the original 1910 charred timber line.
I detected the charcoal line and found bits of man made metal items so I am posotive this was above ground in 1910.
What is amazing is that the soil has covered the charcoal at depths of up to almost three feet in some areas!
Some only has 18 inches of soil accumulation.
It makes me wonder how deep those really old coins could be.
If you look at the pics I put my detector in for scale comparison.
The hole is 4-1/2 to 5 foot deep.
You can see the line where the 1910 fire hit and also see how much soil has accumulated since.
Those old coins may be deeper than I thought in some places.
I really wouldn't have believed there could be that much soil accumulation since 1910.

Attachments

• burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 530
  • burn2.jpg
    burn2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very interesting..I too, often wonder how much the ground height has raised over the years....

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
It is very unlikely that that much soil accumulated in that amount of time. Most likely a machine pushed that dirt to that depth. This was discussed several months ago. Maybe someone could find the thread and repost it. If this was on the lowlands, floodwaters could have moved that much dirt.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I was wondering if that material was charcoal(from fire) or coal. Wack some of it open. If it is coal- a coal bearing bed and not fire related. Seems like a very thick zone for a charcoal layer.

George

OP
OP
maverick4440

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
I was wondering if that material was charcoal(from fire) or coal. Wack some of it open. If it is coal- a coal bearing bed and not fire related. Seems like a very thick zone for a charcoal layer.

George
It's wood charcoal.
I dug some of it out because I detected some old bolts in the burned section.
I think the heavy forest canopy contributes some to the depth.
This area is extremely dense forest.
We are the only pacific rainforest in the state of Montana.
It rains almost as much here as in seattle.
We also get a lot of tamarack needles falling evey year which could build up and decompose I suppose.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
I think your theory is sound on decomp. but if you look at the strata only the top 12 to 14 inches is new soil. The rest was most likely washed in when there was no ground
cover after the fire.

Les

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I just ran across your interesting post today, Maverick. I live not too far west of you in Idaho. We have quite a dependable indicator here on the rate of overburden from trees, wind, and water in the forest. The Mount St. Helens eruption in 1981 left a 1 to 3 inch layer of ash and it's still visible as you dig down. In those 26 years the deepest I have seen natural accumulation over it is about 6" in dirt and a foot or so under leaf, needles or other organic material. The 1910 fire took out much of this area also, like half the town of Wallace, Idaho. I have found coins and relics from the small town of Grand Forks Id. that was destroyed completely and never rebuilt that were on the surface still in 1976. Another thought is if you have any peat in the soil around your area as in a forest fire that can burn down many feet and leave metal that was on top of the ground very deep. Your research and speculations seem very right on the mark.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Over here, most things medieval, or even Roman/Celtic, can be just 4 inches dowwn, others about a foot, but very rarely deeper than that, unless it´s been deliberately covered over through the years (Building foundations) to allow the land to be used for agricultural purposes.
Even iron age is normally only 18 inches to 3 foot deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions