Interesting pics of coin forgers in China.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. How sad for the coin collecting world. I'll certainly be keeping my guard up!

Stan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What I always wonder every time I see these pictures is how they allowed them to be taken in the first place? It's obvious they were taken by someone who wanted this work to be known but at the same time wanted to protect those actually working in this scam (faces marked out).

I've always been extremely suspicious of these types of photos. It just doesn't add up.

One theory I have (can't prove it) is they purposely made these photos as a form of numismatic terrorism. That is to undermine the trust the world has in investing in U.S. coinage.

The question really is, who would benefit most from such an act of terrorism? Obviously it wouldn't be those making these bogus coins so who would that person or persons be?

Here's a thought for us all to ponder--since ebay the major coinage dealers worldwide have been losing millions every year to ebay's low cost coin sales. Since all of this has come out, many have returned to these dealers so they may be assured their coins are genuine? Hum???? kind of gets ya ta thinkin, don't it Amos?

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
"I need to get myself a good scale."

eBay. M-500 Fast Weigh. Look for the auctions that start at 99 cents. (But don't get into a bidding frenzy over one. They are there all the time.) I :love5: mine!

One theory I have (can't prove it) is they purposely made these photos as a form of numismatic terrorism. That is to undermine the trust the world has in investing in U.S. coinage.
It's more like "Let's make a fast buck" than anything. They even make convincing fakes of their own historical antiquities for sale to tourists. A shame really. If they'd put the same energy into creating original ideas rather than pirating them, we'd really be in trouble. (Of course, why go to all that trouble if somebody else will just copy your work and underprice you? Thus, no incentive to be creative....)

(More info in the link in this link)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158706.0.html

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Zephyr said:
"I need to get myself a good scale."

eBay. M-500 Fast Weigh. Look for the auctions that start at 99 cents. (But don't get into a bidding frenzy over one. They are there all the time.) I :love5: mine!

It's more like "Let's make a fast buck" than anything. They even make convincing fakes of their own historical antiquities for sale to tourists. A shame really. If they'd put the same energy into creating original ideas rather than pirating them, we'd really be in trouble. (Of course, why go to all that trouble if somebody else will just copy your work and underprice you? Thus, no incentive to be creative....)

(More info in the link in this link)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158706.0.html

I still think it's odd why that just let someone snap their picture, cover their faces, and publish it. It's just way too fishy for me.

At any rate the coin dealers love them because the fakes are easy for them to ID and they win big time respect from the consumer.

OP
OP
R

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
Are they counterfeit because they are altered some way or are they newly made? I know in stamp collecting forgeries are popular as reference material, is that true with coins? I have about 30 fake Japanese coins, some very bad fakes and a few good ones. I am not sure what to do with them. I keep one in my pocket as a conversation piece, and its fun to twirl around. I'm trying to do cool tricks to entertain the kids.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread