interesting read on "new" archaeology

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
interesting read on "new" archaeology

Here is a link to an article on "new" archaeology. I got a laugh out of some of it.

http://www.archaeologynews.org/link.asp?ID=533214&Title=Science digs into Civil War sites

The comments concerning metal detectors are real special.

Then there is the part about using maps and trajectories of fired bullets to determine positions. This guy thinks he is on the cutting edge. Should we tell him how many centuries behind relic hunters he is on that front!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: interesting read on "new" archaeology

I liked the metal detector part. I've always laughed at those civil war relic hunters, with the backpacks and trailers they tow behind. This guy has access to some pretty cool technology, but how can he confidently claim a bullet was fired on July 20th, between 2 and 4 p.m.?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

"He traced back 1100 to 1300 yards...."

In what direction ??? That's about 2/3 of a mile. I would imagine in any area where there was heavy fighting, one could find a number entrenchments on a 2/3 mile circle drawn around just about ANY point.

Or was he "safely" assuming that it came to rest still pointing in the direction in which it was fired, and was never disturbed thereafter ?

Is that the distance the slug would travel on an ideal trajectory, or if fired on a more or less level trajectory (as when one is aiming at another person) ?

More like "let's take a wild stab at this, and if it pans out we can put together the justification for why it 'worked' afterwards"

lol. Sounds like a lot of hooey to me.

Diggem'

SpectrumKevin

Nov 12, 2009

I'm curious how we would define "more precise instruments" or whatever it was he said.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LMAO! That is hilarious. The assumptions he makes ! He is a relic hunter and nothing more. What metal detector does he use that is less clumsy than the ones we use. Heck in Chattanooga the battlefields were in our yards in our flower beds. They are light years behind. He finds an enfiend a sharps and a broke spoon and say it was fired at a certain time and hit nothing. He is brilliant ! I wonder if that old bullet tumbled had a good load of powder and was seated .Heck it was probably a drop.
He needs to join t-net. Atlanta is all concrete. To find the goods go backwards to Tennessee
Thanks for the read.
TnMountains

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

The AJC doing what it does best...........pretending to report "news" that is nothing but vain ignorance..

The look on the d-bag's face in the picture was enough for me to not have to read much further....

I've seen him before. He lives not too far from me and scours the local Nat'l Park battlefield often...

Thanks but no thanks.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

"fired between 2 and 4 p.m. on July 20, 1864, by a retreating Confederate soldier"

Wish I had his crystal ball.......

The only thing he left out was the Confederate soldiers' name and what he had for breakfast....

Ray S

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

plehbah said:
I am sure another degree will straighten that nincompoop right up.

Unfortunately, many people do not realize that Educated and Intelligent are NOT synonyms. Sad part is, many that fail to realize this hold MBA's and are in charge of making too many (bad) decisions as well.

Diggem'

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer

That bullet was fired at 3.10 when his mate accidentally poked him in the bum with a bayonet..... fair dinkum!!

The Cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread