Interesting reading

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of my 3 digging partners and club brother from S.M.A.R.T.S (Smoky Mountain Artifact Research and Treasure Society) emailed a diary from a soldier.
We do a lot of Civil war reading and research. He recently sent me a topic to read of some movement in Tennessee where we hunt. I ran across this piece that I thought was interesting.

It reads:

The animals wild, but tame we are told by writers that, when a prominent Colonel passed through a section from the french Broad to the Tennessee river, the wild animals gathered along the way and watched the Colonel's troops advance and followed after it, in amazed curiosity. The Indians were not accustomed to kill animals for sport, but they killed them only when it was necessary to do so for food. The result was the animals did not realize they were in danger; but it only took only a very short time for them to learn to avoid the white man.

August, mid 1800's
--------------------------------------------------

I myself hunt for food only, and feel it is necessary.

But, to imagine the wildlife following in amazement intrigues me.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When you are hunting,and you pass an animal that is to the right or left of you, it will go about 100 yds. back"behind" you and follow you. I guess it thinks this a safe place, because it knows your position. I have observed this while deer hunting. If you come on an animal straight ahead, they will move forward straight ahead of you, then turn to the side and wait for you to go by then fall in behind. It really surprised me when I found this out.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ran out of gas one night in the back roads of Manassas, Virginia some years back...okay back in 1974.
Come morning, we saw we were near a farm that had cows.
The craziest thing I ever saw........
We were smoking something sweet and all the cows, maybe 20 or so, all walked down to the fence line, stood in a semicircle looking at us, smelled the sweet aroma of what we were smoking,...mooed...then turned and walked away.

Strangest thing...

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread