Interesting rock (what could it be?)

Grimula

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this could be a Meteorite or just a cool looking Rock/Mineral?

I had already posted this on the Meteorite part of the forums but I thought I would bring it over here and see if anyone else had opinions over here

My dad found this strange (melty looking) rock in our backyard that has Green marks on the back, that look like Melted rock maybe. It is very silky smooth all over even the bumpy looking parts feel very smooth to the touch

I will post a few pictures of this find

We live in Vancouver Bc Canada

The green parts were like that when we pulled it out of the ground

Attachments

• IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    889.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    768.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The green one maybe serpentine or jadeite. The red one I'm not sure of. Neither stone is melted. Sorry not meteorites ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Grimula

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is all 1 stone ....there is not 2 stones

Orange on the 1 side...Silvery black on the other side with a Green marking on the black side

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Grimula

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell none of the stone has been melted ? all the edges on the stone are Smoothed over and rounded like extreme heat has melted the rock all over (Very different from a Water smoothed rock from a river)

very silky smooth feeling stone all over. Almost has an Oily feeling to the stone Like how soapstone feels when you touch it....It is only 1 rock about the size of my Hand

all the Pictures are of the same specimen just different angles ..One side is black / silvery in the light with the Green melted rock ( or some kind of Green crystal growth) ..and the other side is the Orange colour with green and white flakes going threw the stone

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would need to see a freshly exposed surface to see what it is. I agree with DD that is likely isn't a meteorite, though.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it is the same rock now. Had to mentally rotate it~ the backgrounds and lighting made me think you had different stones.
As to how I can tell its not melted the texture is wrong. Melted stone has a more uniform flow pattern and tends to be matte in appearance one exception to this is slag or high silicates and they can appear glassy. They wont feel greasy. Serpentine is probably what it is considering what your describing and from what I can see of it~ I've picked up many examples over the years.
Here's a link on a data base I use for more common minerals : Serpentine: The mineral Serpentine information and pictures

The smooth texture and greasy feel are due to the hardness of the stone~ only about 2 to 3 on the Mohs scale. That puts it on par with talc. With such a low hardness serpentine does not form rigid fractures but erodes just like you see it~ in a smooth manner.
The other minerals present on what I'll call the back side maybe host rock or other variations of the same mineral. Difficult to say but because the orange mineral seems to show some crystallization I'm guessing its a harder mineral that was part of the host rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Grimula

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone able to give any info on what type of rock they think this 1 specimen is ? all the Pictures are the Same rock..just different angles 1 side is orange whole rock is smooth when you rub hand across it like soapstone

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread