Here a couple marker rocks I visited recently. Markings.jpg IM1.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Markers for what ? I don't think graffiti is a modern phenomenon. Even ancient people's put their versions of "John loves Suzie" type of things on rocks, etc.... Doesn't mean "treasure".

I remember as a kid, my friends and I would scrawl on the wall of a cave "Fred Jones was here January 10, 1850" stuff. Getting a good laugh thinking the next passerby would get razzed thinking it was actually some historic passerby.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry...duplicate post.

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd get more responses by posting these in the treasure signs and symbols sub-forum. Maybe a mod could move the thread for you if asked to do so?

In fact, you should head on over there and start reading threads on signs and symbols. There is a treasure trove of info to help you get started.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... There is a treasure trove of info to help you get started.

Yes, a subsection dedicated just to this topic. Question for you moboje: If you've chimed in their often, or ever scrolled back through past posts going back years, has any of those who subscribe to "treasure symbols" theories ever found anything good via this way of finding treasures ? I mean, like has there been anything that ended up on the Show & Tell sections ("today's finds"), via having researched treasures where "symbols on rocks" were the key that brought them to it ?

I ask this with all sincerity. Thanx !

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes, a subsection dedicated just to this topic. Question for you moboje: If you've chimed in their often, or ever scrolled back through past posts going back years, has any of those who subscribe to "treasure symbols" theories ever found anything good via this way of finding treasures ? I mean, like has there been anything that ended up on the Show & Tell sections ("today's finds"), via having researched treasures where "symbols on rocks" were the key that brought them to it ?

I ask this with all sincerity. Thanx !

Tom, I'm not trying to be facetious, but would you really expect someone who found a treasure trove (given our current tax laws and the desires of some in government as well as others to claim anything of value as being "historically significant" so they can take it away without compensation) to openly say "Well Tom, I sure did find a treasure trove and here it is!" ?

I contend that anyone who would do that ... well, they likely are the mentally deficient ones chasing fairy tales and lacking mentally.

Of course, you have the right to believe what you believe ... so do we have that right.

Do folks make recoveries? I haven't, but then again would you really expect me to tell YOU if I had?

To look at the obverse side of your argument, can you produce evidence that you are not trolling for the IRS?

Besides the legal entities involved, there also are bad people out there who would kill you or I for the zinc pennies in our pockets.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Over time I've realized many people can't, no matter what, keep a secret. They seem to have a compulsion to spill the beans. I have also realized I'm a bit rare in that I can keep a secret. I don't know why but there are things I know that just stay put.

That being said if I came upon a treasure that, if revealed, would cause me a problem, I would have no compelling need to tell anyone.
All secrets have an hierarchy of sorts. Secrets you tell friends will no longer be a secret. Your kids I doubt will keep it even if there is a benefit. A wife might keep it unless she is compelled to tell a trusted friend.... secret gone.
There are others like me that will keep a secret. Luckily my wife has the same mental disposition as I do so we tell each other most everything (except secret secrets)

So knowing about my personal mind set, if I found a treasure I would appeal to my criminal other self and find a way to keep it and also find a way to profit from it. There is always a way. Like money laundering someone knows how.
Treasures have been found and kept quiet I'm convinced.

Now enough fantasy, it's on with the hunt!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... would you really expect someone who found a treasure trove (given our current tax laws and the desires of some in government as well as others to claim anything of value as being "historically significant" so they can take it away without compensation) to openly say "Well Tom, I sure did find a treasure trove and here it is!" ....

Chadeaux, No examples ? Ok , That's fine. I was just wondering if any could be shown.

And you go on to say that this doesn't mean that treasures aren't being found via symbols. Because, as you say: Those that find those treasures don't post them, for fear of the IRS. Right ? Ok, here's my answers to that:

a) Take a quick look down the pages of various md'ing forums show & tells. And you will see NO SHORTAGE of stuff posted by md'rs all the time. Yes, even some valuable stuff. And yes, even some caches ! In fact, there's some right now on banner that would fetch good $$ if sold. Thus to say that someone's finding treasures, but no they don't post their show & tell (for fear of the IRS), doesn't answer why there is EXACTLY THAT being done all the time. Why aren't md'rs who are showing their bragging rights daily afraid of this ? Why only "treasure symbol" people afraid of this ?

b) It sort of seems like a vicious circle of logic, that can be made to bolster any assertion whatsoever. To put it out of the realm of scrutiny. For example: What if told you that you could find treasure by spreading peanut butter on a shoe. You toss the shoe up into the air. Wherever direction the shoe points to when it lands, is the direction of treasure. Walk 20 paces. Repeat. Keep doing it, and it leads to treasure.

Ok, suppose you were to say : "Can you cite ANY case where the peanut butter covered shoe method even worked ?". All I'd have to say is: "It finds treasures all the time. But ... durnit ... none of us post the result, because we fear the IRS". See how that makes it unassailable ? Beyond scrutiny ? A vicious circle ?

oh well.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom, your post illustrates my post as to why many can't keep a secret. To be on the Banner Board seems to gratify the competitive nature and the need to tell someone, anyone, about your finds. Bragging rights.
Like Selfies, showing the world of what you've accomplished.
Fair to say most stuff on the Banner aren't worth much beyond curiosity w/o thought of the IRS. But what if a substantial treasure was found. My theory says the finder ( most ) would still find a way to spill the beans.
Remember the guy in Pennsylvania found the bag of money that dropped off an armored truck from a bank. He couldn't help himself by letting his friends in on the secret. Now we all know.
Most either over estimate the IRS ability or underestimate their abilities. Usually based on if they were ever caught.
Concerning a truly valuable treasure I would expect precautions and efforts to go into effect to protect it. Maybe tell only the trusted ones. ??? Like who? Another attribute of human nature in envy.

But along with your post I would also like to learn of treasures found by signs and symbols. Any reader of lost treasures will chose between the tale is true or false. There are so many writings telling of someone finding something valuable, Memorizing a rock formation or like, often only to never find again. Looking at just the Spanish in the American SW I would expect as they were often here temporarily, might develop a way for future solders, priests etc to have a way of location other than word of mouth or their GPS.
I see the symbols similar to Egyptian Hieroglyphs and we might need to also find the Spanish Rosetta Stone.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Fair to say most stuff on the Banner aren't worth much beyond curiosity w/o thought of the IRS.....

Yup. Look down the list of today's finds, and best finds sections. None have enough value to raise the ire of the IRS, right ? Hence any other proposal or tool suggested does indeed find "big ticket" items beyond that level, right ? And the only reason those hunters employing odd-ball methods aren't posting their bragging rights, is fear of the IRS. Right ?

ok, I'll bite: So you are now a total proponent of my peanut-butter covered tennis shoe method, right ? I have tons of proof that it works. But .... durnit .... can't show it. You know the IRS monitors these forums afterall.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup. Look down the list of today's finds, and best finds sections. None have enough value to raise the ire of the IRS, right ? Hence any other proposal or tool suggested does indeed find "big ticket" items beyond that level, right ? And the only reason those hunters employing odd-ball methods aren't posting their bragging rights, is fear of the IRS. Right ?

ok, I'll bite: So you are now a total proponent of my peanut-butter covered tennis shoe method, right ? I have tons of proof that it works. But .... durnit .... can't show it. You know the IRS monitors these forums afterall.

I guess you've missed my point. I'm not very superstitious and no I don't believe in peanut butter as a means to find anything, at a least not w/o jelly. I know people will, at times, migrate to the lowest common denominator and superstition is where many go.
I never knew much of signs to find treasure before T'Net but have read other reports of many that found treasure and marked it in some way. Some just looked for a landmark to memorize the place, others more elaborate. But you know all that.
I know enough about myself to know a worthy treasure found would never make it to the Banner.

But think what a Spanish Conquistador would need to do with a Sack-O-Gold? might be too heavy or cumbersome to carry around on a horse. So bury it. Mark a rock where it is and carry on. After all it belongs to the King/Queen so it's not the solders anyway.
Just considering possibilities.
I have no particular fear of the IRS and many, probably, are in the same boat. I do know also others have irrational fears like driving 25 in a 30mph road. Fear of authority is often the reason. Their mantra might be "Never break the rules." or "Don't be bad". These purveyors of irrational fears might fear the banner, the IRS, and the monster under their bed. They probably think too much.

Where I live was an important stopping off place for the Spanish. There was gold and silver mined here and the mines were destroyed after the Pueblo revolt. A question. Would you have left a marker for when/if you returned?
I have no personal knowledge of why big ticket finds are not posted but I suspect a big find kind of leaves Tnet in the realm of amateur prospecting. Like an electron jumping to a higher orbit when energized a member might not have the same needs as once had. Recognition.

I buried something once and memorized the location of a couple of landmarks. I still can't find it. The landmarks weren't accurate enough.
I have no compelling reason to not believe some treasures would be marked in some way to be found again. To separate logic (signs and symbols) from superstition (peanut butter) One makes more sense than the other.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok. And what does that have to do with "symbols on rocks" as what precipitated this ? That guy , in your story-link, was standard detecting at cellar-hole foundations, and dug a large signals to find a cache.

Was not saying "caches" don't exist. Was just questioning the notion of symbols on rocks.

It's wise to question these things but symbols beg the question , why would anyone go to the trouble.
I'm making a separation between ancient people and more modern people like the Spanish. Each seems to have their own reasons.
From pictures it appears Spanish solders on horses were already overloaded. I'd bury the heavy stuff myself.

There is a mountain here called Ladrone Peak (thieves Mountain) because thieves would rob people on the trail from Albuquerque to Socorro and hightail it to the mountain to hide. My thinking is the loot was heavy and hard on the horses. I believe they would bury on the way to insure a clean getaway. I think one could do worse than searching the route most likely used by the bad guys.
It's interesting to study paths. Like those in a meadow or forest. It's natural to see them made by people as similar to a river in that most times the path like a river's meandering, takes the path of least resistance.
Sometime I might look at a topo of that area to see what Is possible. Off topic, sorry bout that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... but symbols beg the question , why would anyone go to the trouble.

Hi Hvacker. Graffiti is not a modern phenomenon. Just as you now doubt wrote "hvacker was here" or "Hvacker loves Suzy", or ... if you're over 60, perhaps you wrote peace sign symbols on your school books as a teen, etc... Right ? Tagging is really big on RR box cars, and so forth. And this is not a new trait of human nature.

So too did people 100, 300, and 1000 yrs. ago tend to scrawl their names, designs, etc.... on things. And notice that none of it necessarily means treasure (no more-so than the graffiti you left on the bathroom stall wall when you were a kid).

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Hvacker. Graffiti is not a modern phenomenon. Just as you now doubt wrote "hvacker was here" or "Hvacker loves Suzy", or ... if you're over 60, perhaps you wrote peace sign symbols on your school books as a teen, etc... Right ? Tagging is really big on RR box cars, and so forth. And this is not a new trait of human nature.

So too did people 100, 300, and 1000 yrs. ago tend to scrawl their names, designs, etc.... on things. And notice that none of it necessarily means treasure (no more-so than the graffiti you left on the bathroom stall wall when you were a kid).

Maybe I'm odd but I didn't leave my mark anywhere I can remember but of course graffiti isn't new. The caves in France testify to that.
That thing with Suzy was a rumor.
I wonder if the two have a different reason. Some seem to tell of a hunt either successful or a type of prophesy hoping for one. Some of those in the SW USA seem to have the hunting type also but others have a repeated patterns not relating to hunting as far as I can tell and are a mystery as to meaning. Still others also in the American SW seem more to the point of communication. Like Hieroglyphics. a Rosetta Stine might help.

I once knew an artist who seemed to have a compulsion to leave her mark. On most anything.
Along with your statement " And notice that none of it necessarily means treasure " you could inversely say And notice that none of it necessarily means there is no treasure as what needs to be connected here is a true connection with signs in stone leading to a predicted treasure.
There is another forum here that addresses signs and symbols. I haven't spent much time there but of all they claim to have found I here of no treasure. Again that fact doesn't mean there is no treasure.

Do we agree treasure exists? Would you make a mark to not forget? Where I live it's easy to get lost especially if there are no landmarks visible. Just brainstorming a bit.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok. And what does that have to do with "symbols on rocks" as what precipitated this ? That guy , in your story-link, was standard detecting at cellar-hole foundations, and dug a large signals to find a cache.

Was not saying "caches" don't exist. Was just questioning the notion of symbols on rocks.

Not sure, what did YOUR comment have to do with this thread? I was just replying to YOUR comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions