Interesting sign, no idea what it is.

DirkSears

Jan 14, 2008
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 - Standard coil & Super 12
I was out with my wife's Grandfather for a historical tour / MD trip. Although we didn't do much MD'ing I did take some pics. One that spurred my curiosity was on a covered bridge. Check out the pics and note the strange metal sign hung at the top of the bridge. I thought it was weird to hang a sign of a bird/flower at the top of a covered bridge. Has anyone seen anything like this? My wife's Grandfather had no idea what it was. As far as we can tell it's not the state bird or flower. Bridge was built in 1884.

Attachments

• COVERED BRIDGE 1.jpg
    COVERED BRIDGE 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 647
  • COVERED BRIDGE 2.jpg
    COVERED BRIDGE 2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 645
  • COVERED BRIDGE 3.jpg
    COVERED BRIDGE 3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 651
  • COVERED BRIDGE 4.jpg
    COVERED BRIDGE 4.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
It's an old hex sign. they used to be put on barns and such to ward off evil (hexes). they were popular in the old dutch communities..

I know that hex sign is not the technical term but someone here knows I'm sure of it.

nice bridge though, it looks like it's held up well

3S

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most are rooted in traditional folk art, such as the "distlefink," a bird design that now symbolizes good luck and also the shamrock..

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
As a matter of fact, I DO know what that is :) First post here, and I'm IDing something :)
That my friend, is a PennDutch Hex sign, a distelfink to be more specific is the name for the bird,for luck and happiness. Th tulips for faith, and stars for good luck. The heart for love. Blue conveys protection, white purity, green abundance and red strong emotion.
So there you go :)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Caryl said:
As a matter of fact, I DO know what that is :) First post here, and I'm IDing something :)
That my friend, is a PennDutch Hex sign, a distelfink to be more specific is the name for the bird,for luck and happiness. Th tulips for faith, and stars for good luck. The heart for love. Blue conveys protection, white purity, green abundance and red strong emotion.

Caryl! Good job!

Welcome to TreasureNet! :)

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Caryl said:
Well done excellent first post

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dat vas a very gut vay of speeking that. ach, himmmel.

I grew up around the PA Dutch, it was a good language for them to use when the whiteguys were around, or the englanders, which ever you prefer. My mom worked for a grocer that was PA Dutch.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dirk,

Where is that bridge in the picture? I have several of those in my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions