Interesting situation

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Stopped by a bank today and asked if they had any halves. Told I could have $200 worth, which sounded kind of strange in that they did not say that is how much they had, but how much I could have. Anyway, teller comes out with 10 Brinks rolls. I was disappointed because I thought I was going to get customer rolls and the Brinks rolls have been skunky here for a long time. I realized that the teller was giving me a partial box and was saving the rest for other customers who asked for them. (Normally this branch does not order boxes, but gives out what customers bring in). Teller says people have been asking for halves so she ordered some.

On the way out I looked at the rolls and saw the reverse of a silver Kennedy (I thought) because it kind of glowed in the sunlight and the other coins looked a bit dull. Opened it when I got in the car and 2 40s and 1 Franklin. Tore open all the rest and found a total of 15-40s and 1-90% from just 200 bucks worth. A couple of the rolls had 3 keepers in them.

Dilemma is how do I get the rest of them. I plan to call next Monday and ask if they have any rolls left, and if they are still there will probably get them. But there is a good chance another CRHer could ask for them before then.

I guess my addiction has died down a bit because in the past I would have put on a disguise or tried to get a relative to go in and ask knowing that the remainder of that box most definitely has some silver in it. Now I want them but it is not driving me too crazy. Looks like the CRHing 12 step program I took is helping. ;D

Jim

Upvote 0

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Jim;
It wouldn't hurt to call your teller back and ask if you could purchase the rest of the rolls, or at least another 10 of them. Worst case, I suppose, would be that by tipping your hand her suspicions would be aroused and she might either buy them herself, or save them for a customer more "favored" than you are. Sounds like it's worth the risk.
Don't feel bad......a little backsliding is normal and expected.
- Grizz

db23

Mar 18, 2011
easy one... Roll your dumps and offer to trade your customer rolls for her Brinks rolls, this way she'll still have some halves for other customers.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, trade in those dumps, obviously the teller has no clue about silver- if you return the ones you looked through, the teller would still have half dollars for the other people since they collect half dollars too. Ask the teller if you could have the remainder and promise you'll bring them all back for the others who want the rest, assuring they will have some as well. Plus this may get those CRH'ers away from the bank by "getting someone's dumps"

Also, congrats on your score!!
hh

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, you have got to stop paying $200 for 10 rolls of halves. Jim, you made a nice find. My guess is she knew there was silver and was trying to delay losing all of them before her pay day. Cheers Amigo, Jim

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Jim,
Simply go back and ask for the rest of them. Be kind...it dosen't hurt to ask.
rileyboy

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
rileyboy said:
Jim,
Simply go back and ask for the rest of them. Be kind...it dosen't hurt to ask.
rileyboy

Agreed.. just go back to get the rest the next day. If they need halves, they can always order more.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Go in and ask for them. If they say they need to hold some offer the trade of whatever rolls they have for rolls you have. Tell them you are a coin collector and that you have some you already searched through. I did this at a bank about a month ago. Got a few 90% out of the deal. The teller said she had to hold them for her other customers so I offered the trade and she didn't care. I hit this bank about every two months and it produces without fail!

Maine_Jim

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim4Silver,
What about your spouse, girlfriend, friend? That might be an option? Let them go in and ask for you. You never know.

apush :read2:

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Called the teller back today and asked if I could buy the rest of the rolls. She said "oh, did you find some good ones?".

I didn't answer that question but said "I would like to get whatever you have left, even if they are customer rolls", trying to escape her question. She said, "we don't have any halves left right now".

Better to get what I got than none at all.

Jim

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
"Better to get what I got than none at all!"

[/quote]

Truer words were never spoken.....in fact, that would make a great T-Shirt!

Now you can proceed with the hunt without regrets.......

- Grizz

db23

Mar 18, 2011
rileyboy said:
She lied!
rileyboy
I agree. Now is when you should have someone else go in and ask. I bet they get a different answer. That or the teller has already bought them...

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
db23 said:
rileyboy said:
She lied!
rileyboy
I agree. Now is when you should have someone else go in and ask. I bet they get a different answer. That or the teller has already bought them...

Either the teller got them or they're gone.. a no answer to her question of "finding keepers in the rolls" is an answer in itself. You could just order a box through them again to see what you get. I would've gone back sooner to get the rest or exchanged some dumps.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I don't doubt that they were already gone. If if they did order some, maybe they only got one box. If you were the fourth one there, maybe they only had 10 left when you left. I have had lots of tellers ask me what the big deal about halves is lately? Especially while on road trips. The posters on here aren't even 1% of the number of people searching coins, halves especially.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
SFBayArea said:
I would've gone back sooner to get the rest or exchanged some dumps.

That was not possible. I called her the day after I got them and she was off that day. I called the next day in the morning and got the answer.

Further, it appears that either she kept them for herself or saved them for another customer. I have no way of knowing but either way she was not going to give them to me or she would have done that when I picked up the $200.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread