Interesting week: Silver, Proofs, and Silver Proofs

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
My weekly box last Thursday had a 1967. Happy to find any silver recently.

Took a road trip Friday to a bunch of small towns around my area.

First stop is a tiny town I haven't been to in a few years because the teller there my wife knows said the old head teller searches all the coin for silver. I thought I'd stop in, maybe she had retired. They had $125.50 in halves. The young teller ask me if I was looking for silver, bad sign. SKUNK

Next stop had none but told me their branch in the next town had a bunch. I went to the next town and they had $600 worth, all hand rolled by the tellers. i asked if they had someone who brings in a lot of halves, they said no. No silver, 1 1979-S Proof, and 3 foreign coins (1963 Ireland Large Penny, 1965 and 1967 England large pennies).

30SEP11_Foreign.jpg

Next stop had $95 which had 1 1969-D

Next bank had $100 rolled and another $364.50 loose. I said I'd buy them all so she went to talk to someone in an office. They decided I could have the loose but they wanted to keep the rolls. Found 2 1967.

The next 6 stops had a total of $86.50 with 1 1967. We did find a really nice bar and grill that had excellent food for lunch.

Last town has one bank that I'm friends with the business teller. Half bag at about $350 so I'll go fill it up next week. They sold me a $50 bag of cents and a $100 bag of nickels. The cents had 15 Wheats, the oldest was 1920 and a 1938-S I needed for my album. The nickels had a 1936 Buffalo but no war years.

Another bank in the last town I usually have good luck at. They always have a bunch of different roll paper types. This time they had $470 in halves in 2 different roll types. The black and white roll are rolled in house and are usually the better rolls. The other copper and white rolls are shipped in from another branch and usually skunks. The copper rolls had one 1967. The black and white rolls were a different story. The first roll had 4 silver rims showing, 1964, 1965 (maybe SMS), 1967, and a 1968-S Proof. My first 1968-S in 4 years of serious searching. Several rolls had multiple silvers and proofs. Total for the rolls: 1 1964, 1 1964-D, 1 1965, 3 1966, 3 1967, 4 1968-D, 2 1968-S Silver Proofs, 3 1969-D, 4 1971-S Proofs, 3 1973-S Proofs, 2 1974-S Proofs, and 2 1976-S Proofs.

30SEP11_BoM_Total-1.jpg

Total for the road trip
30SEP11_Half_Total-1.jpg

On Tuesday I took the cents and nickels to dump at a town with 2 banks next to each other.

The first bank was calling me when they have a full dime bag but I hadn't heard from them in a while so I wanted to make an appearance. I took the cents in and they said they had a bag of dimes. $500 in dimes had 1 1952-D, 1 1956-D, 1 1961-D, and a 1984 Barbados Ten Cents.

Took the nickels into the other bank. They were my dime dump bank until a few months ago. I asked about dimes and they had 1 $500 bag. Interesting mix of finds: 1 1951, 1 1953-D, 1 1962 Silver Proof, 1 1963-D, 1 1964-D, 1 1969-S Proof, 1 1971-S Proof, and a really nice 2009-S Silver proof. I also found a dateless silver Canadian dime, 2 other Canadian dimes, and a ground down cent.

04OCT11_Dime_Total.jpg

04OCT11_Dime_Canadian_REV.jpg

With all the Proofs I'm thinking someone broke open some sets so Wednesday I called and asked if they had a bag of quarters. They said their bag was almost full and would call when it fills up. Hopefully the 62 and 09-S Silver Proofs will be in there to go along with the dimes.

Today's box of halves was a SKUNK but it has been a good week for me overall.

Upvote 0

YuriyV

Jul 12, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for such entertaining story. HH!

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score Fropa, Nice post and Thanks for the pics :thumbsup:

HH...Miner

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
excellent score, but every time i see something about someone being denied halves makes me think they were all keepers. Someone high up in the bank probably either "collects" or sells some on the side and didn't want you taking their 10 rolls of walkers :'(

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score, finding proofs is still fun, especially if they are in proof condition still. I found most of my proofs from this year in one day, and most of them were almost perfect. U can still make a little money on them too, so nice finds!

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th3Offspring said:
excellent score, but every time i see something about someone being denied halves makes me think they were all keepers. Someone high up in the bank probably either "collects" or sells some on the side and didn't want you taking their 10 rolls of walkers :'(

I'm also paranoid and think that. Last week two of my banks made excuses why my coins didn't arrive. It's like damn... were they both full of enders or something?! The boxes have holes punched on one side.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. I never like having to leave any halves behind but without having an account I take what their willing to give.

We went to a city today we had never been to before. It is heavily hunted. Every bank I went into asked if I was looking for silver. They either had several people calling weekly looking for halves or dumping large amounts. I was able to get $70 worth, SKUNKED.

I dumped my weekly box before heading out and looking up at me from the reject try was a 1944-D Merc along with several other coins. Saved me from being SKUNKED for the day. Here are the coins from the reject tray:

07OCT11_OCU_Total_OBV.jpg

07OCT11_OCU_Total_REV.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions