Intermediate to Advanced Panning Tehcniques?

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I wanted to start some discussion about panning techniques for people that have just learned to pan and want to take it to the next level. For me, I am finally able to pan down to black sand consistently, but I feel like I'm missing important details and thus losing gold.

For example...how steep should one's pan be when washing? Some people hold it steeper than others...is there a "best" way to do this or a "best" angle? How fast do you shake back and forth? How deep should your pan be in the water when doing all of these things? How much light material should be washing off? Do you "throw" your material out of your pan or let the water "suck" it out?

Anyways, these are just some example of the kinds of things I'd like to learn. Feel free to just add anything to the discussion.

This video so far has been the most helpful for me. I basically try to replicate him and shake for 3 seconds followed by 3 "washes".

Upvote 0

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Practice in a catch pan and you can see if you're losing gold, then refine your technique. It's the only way to know for sure.
You'd be surprised how fast you can actually pan and not lose gold. If you keep the gold buried it won't go anywhere, that's the only thing to remember.
It's not about being "good" at panning, it's only about science. Gold sinks fast.

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Practice in a catch pan and you can see if you're losing gold, then refine your technique. It's the only way to know for sure.
You'd be surprised how fast you can actually pan and not lose gold. If you keep the gold buried it won't go anywhere, that's the only thing to remember.
It's not about being "good" at panning, it's only about science. Gold sinks fast.

Exactly. I've been going faster since I'm just trusting science, but then every once in a while I see some black sand that appears to be leaving my pan and even shiny stuff. Obviously it's possible that it's just black looking, and not actually heavy, but I don't know. My initial thought was I am doing everything right, but maybe when washing I had my pan at too steep of an angle, thus allowing the heavy stuff to get washed out too.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're on the right track for sure. Just be careful as you get down to the last little bit. The gold can wash out if it becomes uncovered so maybe one light rinse and one or two half rinses, just halfway up but not to the gold, then shake it down again. Works for me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is know correct answer. Just takes practice practice practice. Salt your own pan with 3or 4 small flakes of different sizes and then pan into a catch and you can really get a feel for how hard it is to lose gold out of your pan. unless your panning concentrates. Just RIP it and don't worry about losing a flake the time you save will result in more gold in the long run

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're on the right track for sure. Just be careful as you get down to the last little bit. The gold can wash out if it becomes uncovered so maybe one light rinse and one or two half rinses, just halfway up but not to the gold, then shake it down again. Works for me.

I see. Thanks!

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there is know correct answer. Just takes practice practice practice. Salt your own pan with 3or 4 small flakes of different sizes and then pan into a catch and you can really get a feel for how hard it is to lose gold out of your pan. unless your panning concentrates. Just RIP it and don't worry about losing a flake the time you save will result in more gold in the long run

Unfortunately I don't have any spare flakes of gold that I feel like risking :dontknow: but I met a nice guy over the weekend who gave me a tip about crushing up some lead pellets down into nice flat pieces like gold would be. I guess if I can pan lead I can probably pan gold.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I don't have any spare flakes of gold that I feel like risking :dontknow: but I met a nice guy over the weekend who gave me a tip about crushing up some lead pellets down into nice flat pieces like gold would be. I guess if I can pan lead I can probably pan gold.
your not risking anything. I said pan into a catch. I.E another pan or a plastic tote.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask... What type of panning are we looking at here??

Are we creating concentrates, or are we cleaning concentrates?

I don't have water where I play, except for what I bring with me, so panning straight from the stream is not something I know much about..
Though panning in the field, I would concentrate on making concentrates.. Get down to the black sand, maybe a shake and a swirl to
make sure you are on the gold, and dump the concentrate into a bucket and keep processing as much material as quick as you can...

Deal with the concentrates when you get home.. Move more material... Get more gold.. Those are the rules, I didn't write 'em.

Here are some good vids on how to clean up your concentrates..
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/459664-art-gold-panning.html
From The Gold Cube Man..

I think everybody's technique is going to be slightly different, but the basic rules in those vids applies across the board.

THE GOLDEN RULE: If everything in your pan is the same size.. GOLD RULES!!!!

My technique is similar, I don't bother pulling the black sand, I find it to be a pain in the arse, and I classify to different sizes.. And to
get "Squeeky" clean gold in the pan I use a funny little finger tap on the side that walks the gold up along the rim and leaves the black sand,
similar to The Gold Hog guys "bump" technique, 'cept different.

The one thing that blew my mind early on in my gold quest.... I had too many cons in my pan to pan easy, so I shook it down and literally
just dumped the top 2/3 to 3/4 into another pan.. Got some moderate gold and I was all excited to get to the majority of the material
I had dumped... Turns out that in the majority of the material I had dumped off the top, there was only 2 little pieces... All the gold
had stayed in the pan.... I was bummed, but I learned a valuable lesson... GOLD IS HEAVY!!! can't forget that...

On the classifying thing.. When I first started, I was using 20,40,60 mesh, it was what I had... Then I got some 80 and 120 screens, and the
world changed... I had been losing a TON of tiny gold... remember: THE GOLDEN RULE: If everything in your pan is the same size.. GOLD RULES!!!!
Then I went got some 250 and 400 and realized I was losing even more... The really tiny stuff isn't all that fun to play with, so I just put it on the
side to deal with on a rainy day..

Practice practice practice.. I would also suggest doing STUPID things to prove to yourself that gold really is HEAVY.. things like quick stripping the
top 3/4 of the pan off, just to see how much gold you lost... It won't be much, if any, but its something you need to see to believe.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Practice. Learn a tap or bump. Find a couple sizes of classifiers that work for you. Window screen (around 10 mesh). Maybe 30-40 mesh. And go to town. You'll need to pan off a lot of the black sand. Some is lighter so don't worry when there's black in the lighter material.

Learn your own way. My action seems to put most of the gold in a pile where I expect it. I can show you but it may work differently for you. I'm left handed so it may be opposite.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Quick, easy, and efficient..........

After that you may find this vid of interest........

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like to keep my pan angled so the forward edge of the pan is higher than the crease, the gold then has to walk up a hill to escape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like to keep my pan angled so the forward edge of the pan is higher than the crease, the gold then has to walk up a hill to escape.

Ya the angle is what I've been wondering about the most. I have been tilting the pan quite far to the point where gold could easily walk out...but it seems to still work most of the time...

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are pretty good. I agree with most of it.

Panning is easier than the eight Mike Pung videos show, but it's a good idea to watch them all.

Once you've got a feel for the techniques and how the gold acts for you , you'll be able to pare down to a simpler method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are pretty good. I agree with most of it.

Panning is easier than the eight Mike Pung videos show, but it's a good idea to watch them all.

Once you've got a feel for the techniques and how the gold acts for you , you'll be able to pare down to a simpler method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly..... But like anything you have to have a good foundation to start from, you then learn where you can make changes to speed up the process.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread