intersection and cloverleafs

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unless there was very old pedestrian traffic/paths along there, I think it would be an exercise in futility.

I own a street sweeper company, and all I've done for the last 30 yrs, is work with street sweepers in relation to regular street sweeping, and also construction related work along freeways (clover-leafs, etc....). And one thing you have to remember about them, is that for all the years of the existence of roads, any time people fling their tab, can, cap, foil-wad, etc... out their windows, a lot of that is going to end up in the grass directly adjacent to the paved roads. So you can expect that the trash ratio along road-sides goes exponentially up.

There has to have been some sort of long-term pedestrian usage, and .... hopefully .... set back from the edges of the road far enough to be out of the "fling" zone of cars.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried the median on Rout 3 in Upper Darby PA in one section.. just junk.. no one walks there..

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it legal to detect in the cloverleafs? i saw on a historic topo map that the one next to me had a house there before the overpass was built.

OP
OP
monte952003

monte952003

May 11, 2014
Blairsville PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
GARRETT AT Pro
GARRETT GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not sure if it is or not

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will probably be asked to leave by a police officer. Those types of area's are high risk for both you and other drivers~ your doing your thing and a car goes out of control; or your doing your thing and a driver gets distracted watching you.
Probably not a good idea. Those are just worst case thoughts. Who knows maybe someone will get funny and throw pennies at ya while traveling 50mph or so. Bad enough when that happens just sidewalk hunting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
is it legal to detect in the cloverleafs? i saw on a historic topo map that the one next to me had a house there before the overpass was built.

simbad, what d-dancer is talking about is that there's probably rules/laws about pedestrians on freeways. And that forbiddance would include the road-right-of-way, not just the roads and roadsides themselves. The road-right-of-way can extend much further into the distance. Eg.: all the landscaped areas etc.... Probably not enforced if you were truly way back in the trees, along fence-lines, and no where near the road.

And those road-right of ways eavesements if they are state owned highways, would not be subject to rules you may read in your state regarding state PARKS. Since that is not a state PARK. Same for federal: Any dire sounding thing you read about federal parks (blah blah blah) is not the same as road right-of-way federal land. Since those are not "parks" either. Not saying to push it, and make yourself a giant bullseye in need of attention, but just saying that not all federal or state land is "park" land, subject to said rules of those.

As far as a house being located along-side what is currently a cloverleaf: be aware that it's entirely possible that earth-movement (sculpting at the time of construction) might have obliterated any of the correct strata. By adding or subtracting dirt, to achieve their gradient, slopes, etc.... But if you truly know the site is set back-far enough from fill-dirt, or subtractions, and road side trash .... .then .... give it a try :)

Last edited:

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never mind safety, legalities, etc., --I think it is far from being a 'low profile' site, and will draw unnecessary attention.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True enough Tom. Most states and much of the interstate, and some state, highway system has a regulation against pedestrians on the easements unless there is an emergency. I didn't think to talk about the legality because I have found places in the country one can legally be in or on those easements. Its just not a good idea and I was trying to paint a picture :)

To be true there are only two area's along the highways I have hunted. Rest stops and underpass's. The rest stops are ok. Underpass's I've only hunted for gold ;) as they were on rivers or creeks I know have gold in them.
There is one area I remotely was enticed to hunt near a clover leaf. The historic maps showed an old racing circle that the state has since partially taken by a state highway. There is still part of the circle left and it was converted to "public housing". I thought maybe to try the fringes of the clover leaf but a drive by pretty much turned me off to any ideas of getting out of the car.

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it really starts to bug me that the spot is just sitting there, I guess I can call or stop by chp and ask them if I can do some "trash pickup" on that spot.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
If it really starts to bug me that the spot is just sitting there, I guess I can call or stop by chp and ask them if I can do some "trash pickup" on that spot.

Not sure about the OP's state, but in our state, where there is "adopt a freeway" programs (where some business or non-profit agrees to "adopt" a section of freeway and go along cleaning it up ) is not an easy process. There's pages of application to fill out. You must commit to a year of monthly walk-throughs. You have to wear yellow, etc....

If your spot is set back from the road-sides, harmlessly far away from the road (and/or out-of-view, or harmless etc...), just go. If anyone asks, you're looking for your boyscout ring you lost when you were a kid.

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice tom. Thanks. My old troop, #6 was know as the troop that plants trees for our eagle project. And there was a grove of purple plum trees put in about ten years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread