Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought about that myself... but haven't tried. I imagine it would be a cluster of pull tabs and bottle caps. Modern clad, but minimal at best.

The fact is, prolly close to a virgin site each rest area, as the idea for going there is not necessarily a "destination", just a quick stretch of the legs..and maybe pee.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted 3 older small ones on state highways here in Ohio. 2 were defunct and I had minimal luck. The active one gave me a little over 2 in clad, pulled some wheats, but no silver.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Biggest problem here(Texas) would be getting robbed or murdered in the middle of nowhere. BigWaveDave hit it on target. Other than pulltabs and maybe some bottle or beer caps, what would you find? You said interstate. Try backroads ones built in the 30's and 40's if you must. Maybe a few old coins?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive hit a few old ones here in Texas and they are loaded with trash i dont even think ive found coins there because the trash was so overwhelming

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... then arrested/confiscated if its a no-no.

Do you have any stories/links of anyone "arrested" or "confiscated" for md'ing a road-side rest stop ? I've never heard of such a thing.

If it were me, as long as I didn't see a sign saying "no metal detecting" (and as long as it wasn't an "obvious historic sensitive monument), I'd hit it. But I wouldn't hold out much hope for them, other than modern clad. The only ones I'd bother with, is if you knew of one that went defunct prior to 1965-ish (d/t re-alignment of roads, new interstates by-passing, etc....).

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much of the people traveling through them are in a hurry, I would think no one would even pay attention to you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones I've tried were junk piles and not worth the trouble.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They usually own more land than just the parking lot and building. Check the old aerials and see if there was anything in the adjoining woods/land in the past around the facility and hit that.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit these rest stops along the coastline this year. So far I've found a 1935 half, 5 mercury dimes, 1 silver quarter from the 1940's, 3 silver Roosevelt dimes, and a silver ring.

Yes, rest stops along the main highways can pay off!

Attachments

• Coast Cliffs 014.JPG
    Coast Cliffs 014.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 118

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Biggest problem here(Texas) would be getting robbed or murdered in the middle of nowhere. BigWaveDave hit it on target. Other than pulltabs and maybe some bottle or beer caps, what would you find? You said interstate. Try backroads ones built in the 30's and 40's if you must. Maybe a few old coins?

I fly to Texas every 5 weeks or so to manage business. Twice a year I drive equipment to there or back.
Galveston to San Antonio seems to go by quick enough, but my gosh, the legal 80 MPH stretch of I 10 between San Antonio and El Paso is one of the longest most barren and depressing stretches of Hwy I've ever driven through.
Usually about the time Ft stockton starts to appear on the road signs I have thoroughly contemplated the low points in my life and began pondering its true meaning and just what my real purpose truly is.
Only after reaching El Paso do I finally return to my normal self again.

Last edited:

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fly to Texas every 5 weeks or so to manage business. Twice a year I drive equipment to there or back.
Galveston to San Antonio seems to go by quick enough, but my gosh, the legal 80 MPH stretch of I 10 between San Antonio and El Paso is one of the longest most barren and depressing stretches of Hwy I've ever driven through.
Usually about the time Ft stockton starts to appear on the road signs I have thoroughly contemplated the low points in my life and began pondering its true meaning and just what my real purpose truly is.
Only after reaching El Paso do I finally return to my normal self again.

And here I thought I was the only person that was thinking this! I love visiting Texas, but like El Padron says that stretch between San Antonio and El Paso can take mental years off your life. Finally reaching El Paso becomes a scene from the movie Vacation where Chevy Chase is running with his hands in the air through the parking lot towards Wally World.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive hit a few old ones here in Texas and they are loaded with trash i dont even think ive found coins there because the trash was so overwhelming

Another word of caution: Dog poop = "trash".
Many people don't clean up after their pets, so be careful where you dig / step.

Also: Sometimes, rest areas get relocated due to re-zoning, urban sprawl, etc...
If you can access the earlier (prior decommissioned) locations, you might get a lot less hassle.

I've often thought a good place to metal detect would be at the old hotels along the US highways and larger State Roads (before the Interstate Highway System was built).
These places can easily go back in time to the 30's, 40's and 50's.
Many of the ones that still stand are family-owned (I think), and might grant permissions?
A lot of times, the hotel (motel) is no longer there, but 1 or 2 of the buildings still stand having been re-purposed into something else.
There are plenty of indications: old road maps & telephone directories, swimming pools that have been filled-in, and just the general placement of the buildings (and shapes thereof) when looking at Google Earth.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Hmmm, this post brought back a distant memory of my childhood. Travelling the Mass Turnpike as a child in the 60s I remember there being a Howard Johnson restaurant every now and then right on the highway. All of those are gone now. If I had it in my head to detect rest stops I would start by locating old interstate highway maps that show these places and then try to locate where they were. Antique shops often have old maps from the 30s, 40s, 50s & 60s for sale for a couple bucks. Also old rest areas along roads that have been re-routed. Like when you're driving along and you see a road sign that says "Old Highway #xyz or whatever. Doing modern roadside rest areas would be a boring waste of time in my opinion. I also collect gas & oil memorabilia. Here are a few examples from my collection. The Mobil Travel Guide is from 1960. It shows roads, hotels & motels, roadside attractions, etc. ALOT has changed since then. All of the maps in the rack are pre-1965 and older.

Attachments

• IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    812.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    763.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Highway rest stops here in the Midwest (well...in Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana, anyway) have been beat to death - years ago - by every retired couple with a pair of detectors and a Winnebago. Just not worth it, IMHO. That said...Like NHBandit suggested...Some research into OLD locations of now defunct rest stops may pay off handsomely. Research NEVER hurts. GL and HH.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit an old abandoned truck weigh station once.

There were so many nuts/bolts, chunks of trucks, pieces and parts that I don't know how any of the trucks were able to pull away from the scales...

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
And here I thought I was the only person that was thinking this! I love visiting Texas, but like El Padron says that stretch between San Antonio and El Paso can take mental years off your life. Finally reaching El Paso becomes a scene from the movie Vacation where Chevy Chase is running with his hands in the air through the parking lot towards Wally World.[/QUOTE

Yeah, Its only 5 or 6 hundred miles but for some reason it always takes about a full day or more. (a FULL day).
Unless off course you initiate the mission at about 3 or 4 AM. If that's the case you will experience the "wormhole effect" where in essence the fabric of Space, time and the Universe actually folds in on itself and allows you to arrive on the other side at about 1 or 2 in the same afternoon.
God forbid you initiate reentry in the early evening. In that case the same distance takes two or more days regardless of your actual velocity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread