INTERUPTED HUNT WORKS OUT IN THE END (And Help With a Find)

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been awhile since I've posted, honestly, been awhile since I've dug anything other than the occasional silver or Wheatie. Hit a spot out here in Denver last week where most of the site had been under a small parking lot, and either there was no fill under the asphalt, or they did a sweet job of scrapping.
Right off the bat I eyeballed the Indian Wars button, right on the surface. Good sign! Was hunting with Seychick, but she couldn't stay, had a seeded hunt to go to. But before she leaves, she spots part of a 10kt bracelet, again on the surface. She kills on the gold! So, after Seychick leaves I hunker down for some serious long-term hunting.
Or so I thought.
After about ten minutes of detecting, I see the tell-tale octagonal shape of token. And again, on the surface! Sadly, someone had punched a small hole through it to wear, and then for some unknown reason cut out part of the name. It's a Good For 2 1/2 cts, and says "Tremont, Delicatessen and Wine Co., 15 St., Denver" Soon after, I detected and found a small brass plate, with the words "Quality Seaman Bodies, Nash-Seaman Factories. Right then a husband a wife show up, and explain to me that they were the original owners of the property, and were worried about...drum-roll..., Liability issues! What stunk was even though they no longer owned the property, and the site was wide open, with no signs saying "Keep Off!", it still wasn't my right to be there. And well, they were just so nice about the whole situation, so apologetic. So I left, rather dejectedly.
The following weekend I managed to talk to some of the construction crew, and they didn't mind me being there, but only after they left. By then the site had been altered dramatically, with only a small area of the original scrapped surface remaining. The only two things I managed were worth the wait. One is my first ever Canadian silver, a 1912 five cents fish scale. The second has me puzzled. It's a claim check, brass, with the words "Hand to Cashier, PINNS 47 Wheels Repaired, Stored, and Cleaned, $1.00 Per Month. (No manufacturing marks on the back). This one has me puzzled. Is it for early automotive wheels/tires, or for earlier wagon wheels? Who would store wheels? And the $1.00 a month makes me think it's early 20th century, if not before. Any help with this piece would be really appreciated. Enjoy, and keep hunting!

Attachments

• CIDYTM#1.jpg
    CIDYTM#1.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Tremont Token#1.jpg
    Tremont Token#1.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 100
  • Nash.jpg
    Nash.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 119
  • Pinns#3.JPG
    Pinns#3.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 12

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Nice find!! Cool little fish scale and nice eagle button!

Too bad the token is cut up but still a cool find!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good variety there :occasion14:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No answer on the wheel token.
Looked for paddle wheel repair claim check even...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds, I'd like to dig a few of those...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Hi - that tag is a near find! I think I found something for you - Henry Pinn was had a shoe shine parlor and was involved in a few other occupations in the late 1800s-1900s in Denver.

Here is a 1904 Directory listing for him at 1626 Curtis and also a 1902 newspaper ad indicating Bicycle wheels stored & cleaned for 50 cents / month at that address - the "Home Industrial Bootblack Parlors".

Attachments

• pinn.jpg
    pinn.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - that tag is a near find! I think I found something for you - Henry Pinn was had a shoe shine parlor and was involved in a few other occupations in the late 1800s-1900s in Denver.

Here is a 1904 Directory listing for him at 1626 Curtis and also a 1902 newspaper ad indicating Bicycle wheels stored & cleaned for 50 cents / month at that address - the "Home Industrial Bootblack Parlors".

You did good, Bramble!
I got an email from Mark Parker, and he suggested that it may be for bicycles.
I then started searching through the Denver Business Directories, and found the same Henry Pinn as you did.
In 1907 he had a Billiards shop on 1817 Arapahoe St., Denver, and was part owner of a saloon at 1821 Arapahoe.
Later in 1911 he had a poolroom at 2346 Larimer St.
So I started wondering if maybe they also did bicycle repair at the poolroom.
But your ad showing the same wordage confirms that it is for bicycles was really sweet!
And then tying Henry's address before he owned/managed the poolroom is pure Sherlok-ian skill!
How and where did you get the bike info, if I may ask?
Thanks again Bramble, ya dun good!
Carl

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is really interesting that this man started as a boot-black, then started repairing bicycles, and then made enough to own a pool hall
and then become part owner of a saloon.
He resided and worked in an area known as 5-Points out here in Denver.
The fact that he was African-American makes it all the more interesting.
That didn't always happen.
Carl

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All cool stuff and a neat history on the item

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything with a date, design, some ID or name is cool. You have some real great digs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions