Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I talked to a friend of mine who has been a bank teller for four years. He and I are meeting up to make some videos in two weeks and we are planning on doing a filmed interview. I've written some interview questions that I think are pretty good, but if any of you have any questions for him, I can see about getting them on the list. FYI, he is an avid coin roll hunter himself. Please be respectful I know there are some strong opinions about "snipers". Just remember that he's just another coin roll hunter like you and me. Thanks!

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be aware that revealing "inside" info on bank operations will leave your pal UN- EMPLOYED. an account holder being a "friend" on facebook with a bank staff member can also get them a "you're fired".

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be aware that revealing "inside" info on bank operations will leave your pal UN- EMPLOYED. an account holder being a "friend" on facebook with a bank staff member can also get them a "you're fired".

I am not an account holder. How explicit does this "inside info" have to get? I'm sure he is aware of the policies, but I just want to make sure I understand the basics of it so I don't go and post anything too revealing.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
PEA's concerns are valid. Trust me. Strongly recommend you have him run the interview questions by his manager first.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or do not reveal his name or bank on your video. Make it an anon employee at an anon bank.

Banks are kind of strange about what their employees do. One of my work friends has a wife that used to be a bank manager and she got fired for socializing with the tellers after work. Apparently one of the workers posted a Facebook picture of all of them at a bar and I guess it broke the "no-fraternizing" rule.

To me I think that is a bunch of BS and I think that someone higher up did not like her or something. But my friend tells me that the bank actually does have rules against that. I asked him "They really have a stupid rule like that in this day and age?" He said, "yes, they did". Please ask your bank teller friend if he had ever heard of a rule like this. If someone tried to tell me who I could not hang around with, after work hours, I would tell them to get bent.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have already agreed not to reveal the name of the bank or any information regarding its whereabouts. I will have to tell him to double check the policies before he answers any questions. And Scott...that does sound kind of fishy. I'd be willing to bet that most banks have rules like that, they just don't enforce them...unless they're trying to get rid of someone they don't like.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting.

I married one of my vault tellers, I had a great setup where I could sometimes carry my bags of loose coin directly into the vault, and my bags were never counted (although they were always spot-on). Almost all the tellers became 'coin collectors' and some had nice collections. If there was only one 'collector' at a bank, most of the other tellers kept their eyes peeled for the goodies to contribute to the one teller.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rryan: for the sake of your friends job, don't even show his face, but conduct the interview behind a curtain of some sort. If you don't he will be the subject to some very harsh comments, not now, but sometime in the future.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rryan: for the sake of your friends job, don't even show his face, but conduct the interview behind a curtain of some sort. If you don't he will be the subject to some very harsh comments, not now, but sometime in the future.

Harsh criticism from whom exactly..?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
From bank management and or corporate level internal auditors. Usually found by way of "a friend of a friend, tells so on, who in turn tells somebody else about the conversation", which all leads back to him and his job at the bank. In my opinion, a bad choice on the interview by showing his face and or voice. But, to each his own, if he agrees to it, could lead to legal complications.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and some banks may post YOUR face behind the counter, and youze be lucky to get them to give you the time of day.

or __________________a "please leave the building----- and don't come back" :sadsmiley:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think rryanq has anything to worry about. It's not a video about how to rob a bank. The person he interviews has nothing to worry about either. I don't think he is going to answer questions about the bank security codes or where the the cameras are located.

It's a good idea to keep the bank he works for a secret (I know you are already doing that). Just notice that all the people warning you are the same people who hate that you do videos.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost no one on this site is qualified to advise OP what is and is not appropriate to disclose about a bank's operation. It is very obvious why banks do not want to share specific information about their business (Ever notice that tellers sometimes will not tell you how many rolls of coin they have until you tell them you want up to $2k worth? Ever notice that tellers will sometimes be very hesitant to tell you what time the coin order is delivered by the carrier?).

While some banks are more lax than others, you can bet that there are official rules about sharing any information. While a casual breach of those rules might not warrant formal correction, a blatant and widespread one likely would. My advice would be that the discussion should focus on good customer etiquette and should avoid any sort of bank-insider type questions.

Good Questions:
1) What day of week (and time) should I bring big dumps so-as to not interfere with tellers serving other customers?
2) Do you mind if I call ahead asking if you have certain coins?
3) Should I bring coin rolled or loose?

Suspect Questions:
1) What day of week (or time) does Brinks come to the bank?
2) How much coin do you keep in the vault?
3) How many tellers are there in the bank around closing time?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that all the teller is going to do is show his collection he has gotten by working in a bank

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost no one on this site is qualified to advise OP what is and is not appropriate to disclose about a bank's operation. It is very obvious why banks do not want to share specific information about their business (Ever notice that tellers sometimes will not tell you how many rolls of coin they have until you tell them you want up to $2k worth? Ever notice that tellers will sometimes be very hesitant to tell you what time the coin order is delivered by the carrier?).

While some banks are more lax than others, you can bet that there are official rules about sharing any information. While a casual breach of those rules might not warrant formal correction, a blatant and widespread one likely would. My advice would be that the discussion should focus on good customer etiquette and should avoid any sort of bank-insider type questions.

Good Questions:
1) What day of week (and time) should I bring big dumps so-as to not interfere with tellers serving other customers?
2) Do you mind if I call ahead asking if you have certain coins?
3) Should I bring coin rolled or loose?

Suspect Questions:
1) What day of week (or time) does Brinks come to the bank?
2) How much coin do you keep in the vault?
3) How many tellers are there in the bank around closing time?

Right, I see what you are saying here. Most of the questions that I wrote were actually pretty similar to the first three you wrote. I will be focusing on etiquette and asking him about his best and worst stories dealing with CRH'ers. I'm mostly interested in his personal experiences, not how his bank operates. And I have provided him with the questions ahead of time so that he is not put on the spot. I think it will be fun and hopefully entertaining.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, update on the interview. We had it today and it went well! He informed me that he is aware of his banks policies and we made sure to shy away from questions regarding bank practices. The video probably won't be up for a while, but it is shot now and I really think some of you will enjoy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread