Introduction and a Word About Guidebooks.

Wpg_Lwr

Apr 18, 2007
Hi, I'm new here, and I post under the name Wpg_Lwr, because I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and yes, I am a lawyer.

I am interested in treasure hunting/coinshooting in general, and am a collector of several different things, such as coins, stamps, bank notes, Hardy Boys books, and "anything old" -- if nothing else, I am eclectic. I first started with stamps when I was about six years old, which was forever ago.

I note on these boards that there seems to be a high reliance on Guidebooks/catalogues/price lists, and I'd like to suggest that while they are invaluable sources of reference, the prices they mention are merely an indication of what one could expect as a ballpark figure only. You may get more, you may get less. If you sell to a dealer, don't expect to get guide for it; dealers are notorious at buying below guide prices. The excuse they give most often for this is that they're tying up money in an item that may not sell readily, and they "have overhead too, you know."

The value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it. It is the market that dictates the price at any given time. An item might be worth a certain price to one person, a higher price to someone else.

I find that ebay is the best place to dispose of such items. Naturally, you will want to put a reserve bid on it so that you get at least 70 - 75% of guide value, which is likely what a dealer would give you for it to begin with.

And lastly, condition is key. The better the condition, the higher the price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread