Intros

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Intro's

Met up with Mayo at the sports complex in Elgin yesterday. On the way there I noticed a four block stretch of sidewalk and curb removed, not tamped or formed yet. So we headed off to that area. Here's a shot of the area from the 1910 Elgin Road Race, when approximately 125,000 people attended. This shot shows a collapsed bleacher. The block we searched is across the street, NE of the grandstands there where about 50,000 onlookers ambled around. Where the heck was I with my gear in 1911?!?

Sadly the ground was scraped pretty clean during the development there in the 50's and 60's. We found a few RIO's and I took a '41 wheatie from under the sidewalk but outside of that there was only clad. But we got some hoof time in and swung dem coils! Looks like Mrs. Lowbatts is granting me driving privileges again today so I'll see if we can hook up. Since he's got an SE I took him to some of the places pretty much cleared to the limits of my gear and hopefully he'll be popping up with goodies pretty soon.

Attachments

• crashed bleacher.jpg
    crashed bleacher.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 159

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Intro's

Hey Tim thanks for showing me some of the spots in Elgin!
While I'm still learning to use the Minelab SX to it's fullest potential, I do occasionally find things other than deep junk. At one place you showed me yesterday, after you left, I started hunting and within 30 seconds found a 1990 P dime. Then a 1982 penny. So I start thinkin, where's all the old stuff Tim was talkin about? Sure enough the next one was a 1936 dime. It was nice finally getting silver again. But I had to leave so I could drive my girlfriend to the airport but I'm planning on going back there ASAP to find the goodies.

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Re: Intro's

Excellent! I've pulled Barber silver out of there a foot deep, and at three inches. Found IH's there everywhere between the surface and 8" or more also. But like I said, what remains seems to be just at the limits of my machine and I, given the trash. I've cleared a few spots grid-style but don't want to spend a whole day like that again unless I'm pretty sure there's gold in the dirt.

I did notice I was getting some cross talk from your SE, might want to check out some of the SE forums over at Findmall.com or some of the SE users here to tweak your rig. Keep me up on your availability schedule and we'll hit some other good spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread