invest in gold?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Do U really think it is now at the top? I Dont

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Erikk:

If you are sure that the economy will just go on getting worse for a long time
gold is the best hedge. Then you have to decide when to cash in or whether
to just hold it indefinitely. At some point the large gold holders will decide to
shed gold and the price will tank. Knowing their sell target will keep you from
getting burned.

lastleg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wanna Buy Gold Now ?

Put an add in your Local Paper Buying Gold.

Then pay 90% of Spot.

IF You buy from a Dealer now you wil pay
$110% of Spot or more .
Makes Little sense to me.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
jeff of pa said:
You wanna Buy Gold Now ?

Put an add in your Local Paper Buying Gold.

Then pay 90% of Spot.

IF You buy from a Dealer now you wil pay
$110% of Spot or more .
Makes Little sense to me.
I buy MS61's or better US $20.00 & have been doing OK & yes, I think the economy will get much worse How is the hope & change working??

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
1084 :hello2: :hello2: India dumps greenback & buys 200 tons I might C a pattern here what is our debt how many Trillion & they R just getting started

moosehead

Sep 5, 2009
I'm loving this ride, if you trade mining stocks daily your watching the gold price daily and 1,020's seem to be a base(for now-think it'll go higher) so..maybe take a third and buy some on dips..but for sure I'd have some metals held in hand-silver isn't sky high yet..
(stocks) is said the reason their not at historic highs is the ETF"s have taken away the large fund buyers..still good ride..

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
I wonder if we will ever see gold drop back to what we seen even 2 years ago.I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been talked into transfering everything into gold in early 2007.I dont see myself bailing out anytime soon.

Adventure Wolf

Mar 28, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discover
My economics training (what I went to school for), pretty much tells me that gold is a bubble. It's not as big as the real-estate bubble and it will pop. Personally, I wouldn't invest in gold.

ken(Toronto)

Mar 7, 2008
Gold was $800 back in 1980, that's 30 years ago.
At $1,150 today;
That's a yield of 1.3% per year. What is the probability it'll go much higher?
Ken

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
I like gold as a hedge but not a long term investment. Buy low sell high and you'll do just fine. I won't buy gold again unless its a really good deal or it goes under $900.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
I won't buy gold because it's not my thing. But for years I thought those who invested in gold were nuts. So far I look foolish. The stuff keeps going up and has for several years now. I did not think it would get much above 1000 dollars. Now it's 1200+.

As a kid in the early 70s I worked for a jeweler after school learning the trade. At the time gold was about 35 dollars. It ran up to 400 by 1978 or 79. Everybody thought it would never go up from there.

Now we have 1200 dollar gold. I'm not so sure I'd make fun of gold investors anymore. It's not for me but it's hard to ignore the constant rise in price in the last 35 years. I can't think of a single reason it would go down in this uncertain world. People get scared they cling to the old solid things like gold.

Old Town

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Gold is the safety factor in the market. When the market bombs out like it is now, gold jumps up because everyone is buying it for a safe haven. When the economy recovers, it will drop in value. All these companies that are selling it now will buy it back at a lower price when the market recovers. It's like stock, buy low sell high.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have an economics degree. And I have 11 years managing a trading desk in options and super crazed equities traders who used the investing axiom: Get a hunch, bet a bunch.

I don't see gold anywhere near bubble levels. I've always been skeptical of gold as an investment in the past. My tune is changing. I really don't see any indication of a bubble at these prices. Gold is considered an alternative investment. When the stock market is doing well, money flows there. When the housing market is doing well, money flows there. When alternative investments are available, precious metals are often neglected, and the pricing suffers as a result.

Currently, the stock market is considered extremely risky and the housing market will surely fall further by at least 20% or so. As debts get paid off and people begin to look for a safe investment, precious metals will be a good vehicle, and perhaps one of the first vehicles that people consider. I firmly believe you will see gold rise to near $3000, possibly beyond, in a bubble environment. And that is a conservative guess. It depends upon what happens to the U.S. economy in the coming months and years.

One of the keys to successful investing is not trying to time the market. Don't believe for a moment that you can buy low and sell high, cuz it ain't gonna happen. If you want to get into gold, spread your investment out over several months if you feel it might drop. If you are bullish on gold, maybe put half of your money in today and half in a few months. Nobody can consistently time the market.

If you think gold is too expensive today, but you want in, you might miss the entire ride by never getting in while you wait for prices to drop. Do not think that you are smarter than everyone else, because you are not. You are welcome to an opinion, but only give your opinion about a 70% weighting.

If your gut is telling you to buy some gold, go get it. Look at the ETFs traded on the exchanges. If you buy bullion, don't deal in anything less than an ounce coin. If you are buying bullion, don't buy rare coins. If you are buying bullion, always take delivery.

Good luck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I agree with the previous post in that you can't time the market, but you can buy low and sell high by following the high and low points of certain stocks.As for gold it is the sweep fund when the market tanks!

S

stefen

Had you bought into the gold market, you'd have realized a $1500 gain on your investment within a little over a 1 year period...

Since gold is tied to the dollar, you will continue to make gains as long as the economy is in the dumper. However, once the economy rebounds, the gold may retreat. If so, the gain will decrease...

Now look ahead 2 years and with a recovering economy, the $5000 investment may be worth something less than $1300 an oz. and the investment may retreat to $1200 or less (for the sake of a conversation) thus making a total gain of $1000 in 3 years.

Investment in this market is definitely for the long term and will express numerous swings.

Definitely not for the weak at heart.

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
vanoldschool said:
Since Gold is up to $1000/oz Should I but 5ks worth, if I have the $ also where do you but Gold From??

If I had 5000 extra cash I'd invest in gold bullion... sure.. I'd also hammer the gold, to my own shape, because in a different way than gemstones, metals hold energy, and also communicate it.
More importantly than gold, that 5k should be first checked to make sure you have enough resources on hand.. for, oh, many years to come. Resources is the new investment... What are you going to do with your gold besides channel with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread