Irish bronze ? please help

slinky

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with these finds iv been living in northern ireland and metal detecting there for the past couple of years and I have these two finds that are almost the same but found about a mile apart the first one I found I thought must have been some sort of iron age flared dress pin that was broken in half its made of bronze and shows small specks of emailing but most has gone . then about a year later I found the second on on a new farm I was detecting on its almost the same but not exactly the same very small differences it is also same size so im guessing there not broke ebay new 018.JPG ebay new 019.JPG ebay new 020.JPG ebay new 021.JPG ebay new 022.JPG ebay new 023.JPG ebay new 025.JPG these have had me wondering for about half a year now any idea?

OP
OP
S

slinky

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no I dont think so but it does look very sim but my ones have fine decoration on that really dont think they would bother with on a coat hook one also has emialing witch I cant see being on a coat hook and also the fact they are almost the same size In what are the chances of two coat hook from a mile apart being broken at the very same length plus these were found in open fields almost in the middle of nowhere . but your does look very much like so im even more baffled now

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Well the other item that looks like that are the seal top spoons but I think the holes in yours were for the screw that went in the wall for a coat /cloak hook. Silver searcher or crusader will know for sure ,If they see this post. I think the spoons were tapered the other way and do not have a hole. So Im 99% sure you have coat hooks.
img_0517.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

slinky

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah the more I look at that hook im guessing your right oh well but strange too find two so far apart

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread