Irish Shilling

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
This grotty looking coin fits very neatly in to one of my best finds. It's a debased shilling of Edward V1 1547-53, shillings of this monarch (the boy king) are rare by their own right. This one though is excessively rare, it's an Irish 1552 issue, mint mark harp. These coins, or the ones that are known are never found in anything like good condition, they are basically copper coins. This one even in this condition would be considered a very good example. I first posted this coin last year, in today's finds, I didn't know it was the Irish issue at the time.

Robert.

Attachments

• 1234 100.jpg
    1234 100.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 1234 101.jpg
    1234 101.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
That's a proper find Rob!

In amazing condition for copper :o

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
shaun7 said:
That's a proper find Rob!

In amazing condition for copper :o
There's a low silver content in the coin as well Shaun, I've got some Henry V111 that are probably worse !.
Robert.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you beat the odds, then beat the odds again with that condition. I'm very familiar with lower grade silver having found quite a few 18th century French billon coins. Most are broken at the edge, or bent, but every once in a while we see a semi-decent one pop out.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Iron Patch said:
Yep, you beat the odds, then beat the odds again with that condition. I'm very familiar with lower grade silver having found quite a few 18th century French billon coins. Most are broken at the edge, or bent, but every once in a while we see a semi-decent one pop out.
Suppose you could call it the luck of the Irish, Iron Patch :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Iron Patch said:
Suppose you could call it the luck of the Irish, Iron Patch :D

Attachments

• ist2_6762293-fun-irish-leprechaun-with-thumbs-up.jpg
    ist2_6762293-fun-irish-leprechaun-with-thumbs-up.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 323

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o

Great Hammered Rob, not bad nick for a debased :o I got one at Lincoln on a rally, but it was mangeled to death and only the Crown visible :'( HenryV111 was notorius for copper debased Silver coins, the green usually wearing through were his nose was, hence the nickname Old Copper Nose :laughing9:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2003 Spink:
F-£450
VF-£1500

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Silver Searcher said:

Great Hammered Rob, not bad nick for a debased :o I got one at Lincoln on a rally, but it was mangeled to death and only the Crown visible :'( HenryV111 was notorius for copper debased Silver coins, the green usually wearing through were his nose was, hence the nickname Old Copper Nose :laughing9:

SS
Once put one in my cleaner,very soon it was copper all over not just the nose :D

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
robfinds said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
Once put one in my cleaner,very soon it was copper all over not just the nose :D

Wish I could afford a cleaner....and a gardener :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Yes Inga comes in very useful at times :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread