Iron Age Mirror Handle

mattdiver

Aug 31, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Whites Surfmaster PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks. Out detecting yesterday. Found a productive site recently. Searching the hilltops. It is quite barren of finds but there is history there and perseverance has paid off again. Recently found the bronze hammer and Roman patera handle with writing evident. The FLO is chuffed with this and she is recording the finds and translating the writing. Query makers mark or legion. I haven't found many Roman coins in this area but the odd artefact have been found. Finds of Bronze Age and Iron Age/ viking period in the area.
I found this bronze artefact yesterday. Again on hill top panoramic view. I didn't realise at first what it was but back at home I think it is an Iron Age mirror handle. It is in 2 parts broken in antiquity. It was about 10 inch deep and a nano signal. They were 1.5 metres apart. It weighs approx 37 gram I can see charcoal In places to the bronze and now question if it is part of a cremation type grave good. To the ends of the handle i believe bronze loops have been hacked off. I know that at times they used to break the piece before deposition
I need to get back to the site as I may have missed something.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image-1063473758.jpg
    image-1063473758.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image-4181592014.jpg
    image-4181592014.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 5

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly an amazing find, what a treasure to add to the collection.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, no idea if your right, as its something new for me. Like you say, keep looking...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! FLO?

Finds Liaison officer? The person in that works in the area of the find and the one the finder reports to I believe.

Very interesting find, hope you get the missing pieces. Seems that sometimes quiet fields produce some really interesting finds.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flo is the one off progressive insurance ads. lol Anyway beautiful find. Should be more out there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome piece of history!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds Liaison officer? The person in that works in the area of the find and the one the finder reports to I believe.

Very interesting find, hope you get the missing pieces. Seems that sometimes quiet fields produce some really interesting finds.

Ahhh, ok. Was thinking it was some English acronym for a wife or girlfriend, but that makes more sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread