Iron Artifact?

Fossil Mom

Greenie
Nov 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While fossil hunting with my kids in South Jersey (Sewell area) in late Cretaceous green marl, my 4 year old son found this triangle shaped metal?/stone? object in a stream. It didn't look like a fossil, so I ignored it but let him put it in the pail of fossils since he's 4. Later he wanted to see if it was magnetic, so I humored him with a magnet. I started to pay attention when our magnet was, in fact, strongly attracted to it; it can easily be carried around upside down with the magnet. Its perimeter is 3.7 by 3.7 by 3.5 cm. Its height is 4mm. Could the markings on the front be a picture or writing? Is this possibly a Native American artifact?

Attachments

• top right side up triangle.jpg
    top right side up triangle.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 61
  • bottom right side up.jpg
    bottom right side up.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 58
  • top upside down.jpg
    top upside down.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think it’s anything More than just iron rich rock like you said , I’m on eastern shore of Maryland and have lots of it laying around especial any cliffs near the water

OP
OP
F

Fossil Mom

Greenie
Nov 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think it’s anything More than just iron rich rock like you said , I’m on eastern shore of Maryland and have lots of it laying around especial any cliffs near the water

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! We do have a lot of iron rich rock around. My first reaction when my son found this object was to think it was just the typical rock. But, after seeing how strongly the magnet was attracted to it - weaker than to a nail, but the object jumps out of its box when I pass the magnet overhead - I tested our typical rock outside with the same magnet. There's a possible (but probably imagined) slight attraction to the rock - possibly discernible only when pulling the magnet away. It's nothing like the magnet's attraction to the specimen I posted. This is what made me think it is made of iron (perhaps through a refining of the iron rich rock that's all over the place?).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely it's a broken piece of an 18th or 19th century large size kettle. We find them all the time here and they are about 1/4" thick. The scratched are probably incidental.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a native artifact, but from your post you're a pretty cool mom.

OP
OP
F

Fossil Mom

Greenie
Nov 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely it's a broken piece of an 18th or 19th century large size kettle. We find them all the time here and they are about 1/4" thick. The scratched are probably incidental.

Thank you for your reply! That's really neat that you have so many fragments like this around. Well, even if it's not Native American, it is at least old. Its symmetry led me to think it was intentionally a triangle rather than a broken piece of a kettle. I appreciate your help!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant hurt to have someone look at it

A2coins

Gold Member