Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Rains a coming and I needed a fix!
Got together with Nova Treasure this afternoon and did some digging after we got off work. We have both been trying to get out and do some swinging for awhile now and it finally managed to happen. We finished work and it started raining, I asked Bill if he still wanted to go and of course he said yes. I said follow me, off we went down the highway like two drug addicts searching for a high. I took Bill to a site that I had previously hunted, since that was all I had until I do some more research.
We got to swinging and up came some flat buttons. The finds were sparse, this site had been hunted 5 times now. We kept searching for those good signals, short while later I got one. I dug an 1872 shield nickel. I moved about three feet and dug another shield nickel, an 1869. Wow I'm thinking, 2 at one site . More flats kept popping up and then the silver came to light. A holed 1783 half reale was now staring me in the face. It looks to have been chewed by whoever wore it around their neck unfortunately, but I'll take it. :thumbsup: We kept hunting for an hour or so longer and had to quit. Now we have a couple of days of rain to look forward to >:(.
We'll be back and thanks for looking,

Hill

Attachments

• 3-4-11 001.jpg
    3-4-11 001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 3-4-11 002.jpg
    3-4-11 002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 3-4-11 003.jpg
    3-4-11 003.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 3-4-11 004.jpg
    3-4-11 004.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 3-4-11 005.jpg
    3-4-11 005.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,237
  • 3-4-11 006.jpg
    3-4-11 006.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 3-4-11 007.jpg
    3-4-11 007.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,208
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Iron Brigade Lives On

I knew it was about time for you to put up another great post, HB. :wink: And what some awesome finds you came back with! 8) Buttons, shields and OLD silver!!! :icon_pirat: Wow!! Fantastic hunt! We're in for that rain this weekend too. :-\ Def put a damper on big plans for Lisa and I.

Congrats on all those fantastic finds!! Nana~ :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a Spanish-Finding Machine! I've said this before, but if there's a Spanish there, you'll sniff it out. So how many does this make for ya? A 1R, two 1/2R's and a Big Fat 8 Reales?

Out of KY I only have a 1R and a 1/2R, you dog! The rest of mine are Virginia finds.

This is a true Iron Brigade post. Finding two shield nickels in one site is really top notch too. Seems like we certainly found our share of those Shields in KY.

Great cleaning job on the nicks and buttons, my friend. :hello2:

Cheers,

Buck

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet finds, Hillbilly :thumbsup: 2 shields in a row is kind of unusuall. Too bad about the rain. That's why I haven't been out because of all the rain and melting snow up here. The ground is soaked :-\ Supposed to last until Sun. with some wet snow...........OH my, when will this cycle ever end >:( ??? Too bad about the chewed up silver.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW HB, you guys had a great hunt. I like it all. ANY Reale is a good Reale. Those are nice flat buttons and other coins in good shape too. Did you use the Whites or old 1266-X? WTG Bud and the rain is here so you have it too. Did you leave Bill still digging with a flashlight in the field-LOL? HH, Quindy.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG HB, glad you and Bill had a good time together, two shield nickels is cool, and sure glad you could still get the date on the half real, despite the closenss of the hole!

Don

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, that 1/2 Reale has some definite character! Sure looks to have been chewed, dang Colonial people, they would eat anything, LOL. Congrats and HH, Mike

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Iron Brigade Lives On

Nana40 said:
I knew it was about time for you to put up another great post, HB. :wink: And what some awesome finds you came back with! 8) Buttons, shields and OLD silver!!! :icon_pirat: Wow!! Fantastic hunt! We're in for that rain this weekend too. :-\ Def put a damper on big plans for Lisa and I.

Congrats on all those fantastic finds!! Nana~ :)

Thanks Nana, and yes the rain is passing thru right now, fields are going to be a mess for another week now >:(

BuckleBoy said:
You are a Spanish-Finding Machine! I've said this before, but if there's a Spanish there, you'll sniff it out. So how many does this make for ya? A 1R, two 1/2R's and a Big Fat 8 Reales?

Out of KY I only have a 1R and a 1/2R, you dog! The rest of mine are Virginia finds.

This is a true Iron Brigade post. Finding two shield nickels in one site is really top notch too. Seems like we certainly found our share of those Shields in KY.

Great cleaning job on the nicks and buttons, my friend. :hello2:

Cheers,

Buck

I'm carrying the IB torch now :laughing9:
4 Spanish for me in my 3 1/2 years of detecting, I'm going for number 5 now.
I was really surprised digging two Shields nicks so close together.
Get out there and dig something Buck!

crazyjarhead said:
sweet finds, Hillbilly :thumbsup: 2 shields in a row is kind of unusuall. Too bad about the rain. That's why I haven't been out because of all the rain and melting snow up here. The ground is soaked :-\ Supposed to last until Sun. with some wet snow...........OH my, when will this cycle ever end >:( ??? Too bad about the chewed up silver.

Thanks Ron, it seems like good weather all week and then the rain comes on the weekend. So we slipped out Fri afternoon and beat ole mother nature. :whip2:
You'll get out soon, and good luck.

VOL1266-X said:
WOW HB, you guys had a great hunt. I like it all. ANY Reale is a good Reale. Those are nice flat buttons and other coins in good shape too. Did you use the Whites or old 1266-X? WTG Bud and the rain is here so you have it too. Did you leave Bill still digging with a flashlight in the field-LOL? HH, Quindy.

I agree, I'll take a Reale any way they come.
Yes I used the XLT...We are one when it comes to digging.
Thanks

Don in SJ said:
WTG HB, glad you and Bill had a good time together, two shield nickels is cool, and sure glad you could still get the date on the half real, despite the closenss of the hole!

Don

You can see it was holed right thru the date, but as you said they left me just enough info to make out a date. Your on fire with the coppers lately Don, congrats.

nova treasure said:
Well, I finally found the time to get on here, typical busy Friday evening.

HB your finds pics look great and that 1/2 reale might be in bad shape, but it sure looks good on the finds of the day. Congrats again on another spanish. I really enjoyed getting out, dang rain chased us but it turned out just fine.

my finds of the day were 6 flat buttons including a nice cuff button and than what was a big twisted piece of copper turned into part of a picture frame, Pretty cool find, just wish i would have saved it before the field disk twisted it up.
The readible button backmarks are fine gold colour, best quality, Standard Colour gilt, and still trying to figure the one bm out that has 8 different words.

Not a bad couple of hours after a day of work.

Bill

Thanks Bill, we will get out again soon if it ever dries up around here.

Bavaria Mike said:
Great finds, that 1/2 Reale has some definite character! Sure looks to have been chewed, dang Colonial people, they would eat anything, LOL. Congrats and HH, Mike

Good to hear from you Mike, and yes someone was hungry. IT was definitely chewed on, a plow wouldn't leave marks like that.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, Spanish silver always looks good, the shield nickles aren't bad either.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats HB,
I'd be happy with the flat buttons. Those nice old coins would just be a bonus.
No rain here is Vegas this weekend, but it is raining beautiful women.
Congrats on the Spanish silver Dude.
-Dug-

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love beat up Spanish silver :headbang:

U

umrgolf

2 shield nickels and a reale :o .. and the buttons to go along, its a winner :headbang:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a knack finding those spanish silvers, HB. Congrats. Do you think this half real could have been in a fire? It has that wavy look to it, as if it had been in some heat.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They most likely put the Reale in his mouth to take out a bullet or an arrow , and that is how it got chewed up ! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions