Iron Brigade--One HECK of a GOLD button!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I teamed up with HB and Rodeo Recon for an interesting housesite hunt in the woods a few days ago. While we were waiting for HB to arrive, we took the 4-wheeler through the woods and across a creek to try and track down one other site for future hunts (we were on the edge of it when he arrived, but elected to hunt the wooded site and save the other one). Here's a photo of the fallow field near where we started out:

Pasture.jpg

So after collecting HB, we tightened up our boots and slogged through the mud and into the tick and poison ivy infested woods. :tard: After a little diversion at a newer house site (I dug a toy car and a memorial penny :-\ ), we found the old spot. :wink:

Well let me tell you, in these woods it looked like someone had come along and sowed poison ivy seeds! The plants were about calf-high, and there were spots where there were 30 x 30 foot patches of it. :o (And of course those Nasty roots below ground) We waisted no time in bashing through the stuff with our detectors, shovels, and gloves. I was a little careful since I had a short-sleeved shirt on, but none of us ended up with any of it on us--except that Rodeo had a tiny patch today right above where his glove line was. :thumbsup:

The woods were sloppy, wet, ticky, and ivy-filled...but they were beautiful.

Raindrop.jpg

Raindrops.jpg

Here's a shot of Rodeo and HB getting the job done in True Iron Brigade Style:

Rodeo.jpg

HB.jpg

Well, we found that the artifact dispersal at this housesite was HUGE--more than three times the norm for this area. Well over two square acres had targets everywhere, and when we finally left hours later we were still getting hits all over the place. So we'll be busy with this one for a while.

The finds... Well of course we got the usual housesite culprits: Suspender Clips, Harmonica Reeds, a Toe Tap, and Spoons. Rodeo got an excellent brass wedding band (this is becoming a regular housesite item too). HB got a large copper plate (no maker's mark on it), a brass escutcheon with keyhole, oil lantern tops, a clay marble, and some odd pieces of (chewed?) lead. I'm a big fan of the copper plate and the marble. :thumbsup:

plate.jpg

lock plate and marble.jpg

lead.jpg

I got nothing spectacular--just the usual culprits (I'm probably still doing MD penance for the CW buckles last month) but I did get a nice suspender clip of a new type (every one is a new type though LOL) which I was pretty pleased with. It has a horseshoe hanging by a ribbon on it. (I guess the old adage about the good luck falling out of the horseshoe if you turned it upside down is a more recent invention...) Here's a photo of my finds:

My Finds.jpg

I don't have photos of all of Rodeo's finds, but he certainly did a number on us with some unusual finds. He got a large brass saddle pommel, a hand-crank siren with a spiral shaped brass bell, some ornate decorative brass, and a button that is actually quite remarkable...

The style of the button is the "muffin style" of Civil War Staff Officers' buttons and State Seal buttons...and the backmark is "Scovill Mfg Co. Waterbury," which dates the button to somewhere between 1879 and 1890. Plus the fact that it is a BEAUTIFUL button--with more than 80% of the gilding remaining. I have never seen a button like this... I'm guessing that it could be Civilian, but if it is a State Seal it's not a Seal that I'm all that familiar with. Perhaps someone on the forum can give me more information about this Beauty.

A BIG BRAVO to Rodeo for his Expert cleaning of this find:

Button.jpg

Button and Wheat.jpg

Button Backmark.jpg

Now stop reading my post and get diggin'!

Best Wishes from the Iron Brigade,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Nice post BB. Thats a large artifact dispersal you're talking about. Any chance there were two house sites situated near each other? That button is awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Evolution,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty sure we have two house sites there--plus the other "newer one" that we stumbled on first. Otherwise there's no explanation for the amount of stuff strewn around everywhere. I'm hoping we can wrap our brains around the site next time, without it being so overwhelming. I have a hunch more good finds are to come.

Joe G,

You're exactly right about not letting anything stop you. We're a little crazy, but we do take precautions as much as we can. I'm hoping to get one more hunt in before the ivy is waist deep there, but either way it should be a good site for the fall window after the brush has died down. (Although it will kill me until then to think about what's waiting there!)

Regards,

Buckles

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats to Rodeo on his button! He is getting to be a real genius at cleaning those things. ;D I am going to have to pick up some tips from him.
Congrats to you, B.B. for your awesome research. Can't wait to get back into town to hunt with y'all again. :'(

~diggergrl

O

ohannos

Ok so that nice plant is a poison ivy. Seen you wright about them a bunch of times but never knew how it looked like. Very nice button by the way.

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.
Very interesting thread,Buckleboy. And some
great pics of the ivy and that great button.I dont
think we have poison ivy around here but we
do have a lot of stinging nettles. Jim

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and pics BB. Very sweet button for Rodeo. Nice bunch of relics; I love the heel plate and clear glass bottle. Keep digging!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I don't know if I should take my hat off to ya's, or call ya crazy for getting into all that poison ivy ??? ;D
Way to get at it...

That's a very neat button though. I recovered one just like it last week myself although it's not in quite so good of condition...
IN_State_Seal.jpg

Haven't had the chance to do any cleaning on it, so I'm not sure how much of the gilding is still on it. The top of it has a small dent in it as well... One thing that confuses me is that I haven't been able to find any images of the Indiana state seal with the buffalo facing the same direction as they are on these buttons?

Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

P.S.> Here's two of them,,,, I wonder who will find the third one? ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions