Iron Cross

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out metal detecting near an area of old 1900 houses and big old trees. I found a few old coins, nothing impressive, just some newer wheaties.
I found this iron cross about 6" down. It was totally encrusted but I could make out the shape. After starting to scrub and work the crust off, I am revealing a silver Iron Cross under it! I looks to be real silver as it is soft and looks like silver coins you dig up.
It looks like the kind the Nazis used to wear around their neck during WWII. It may be a war relic someone brought back and lost.

Attachments

• iron cross front 2.jpg
    iron cross front 2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 530
  • iron cross back 1.jpg
    iron cross back 1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 6

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find!! That silver should clean up nicely. Be sure to post pics after cleaning.

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome fine Viddy

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Good candidate for electrolysis,Like to see what it really looks like! God Bless Chris

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool Iron Cross viddy.

CREEKGEEK

Oct 18, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cant wait to see what it looks like underneath. Make sure you post it

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful, the iron can be brittle, try the vinegar soak on it. It's definitely an Iron Cross 2cd class, could be WW1, WW2 or the post war model, no way to tell without seeing the center. These were actually not worn on the uniform, only the ribbon in the pockethole, although some were mounted for parade and fancy dress uniforms. The 1st class has a pin, or a screw back and was worn on the left breast. The one worn around the neck is the Knights Cross and has a different suspension ring, and is a bit larger. Check on the ring, and on the frame near the ring for a makers mark, some makers are very rare and even in relic condition bring a premium.

Makers of the 1914 EK2 This is a list of WW1 era makers, but many were still making medals for WW2 and later.....

Oh, and the frame is definitely silver.

Last edited:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Careful, the iron can be brittle, try the vinegar soak on it. It's definitely an Iron Cross 2cd class, could be WW1, WW2 or the post war model, no way to tell without seeing the center. These were actually not worn on the uniform, only the ribbon in the pockethole, although some were mounted for parade and fancy dress uniforms. The 1st class has a pin, or a screw back and was worn on the left breast. The one worn around the neck is the Knights Cross and has a different suspension ring, and is a bit larger. Check on the ring, and on the frame near the ring for a makers mark, some makers are very rare and even in relic condition bring a premium.

Makers of the 1914 EK2 This is a list of WW1 era makers, but many were still making medals for WW2 and later.....

You beat me to this one. I used to be a collector of WWII German militaria. That is an awesome find. Looks like we will find out what era it is from if it cleans up well. Nice find!!!
If i am not mistaken the frame is 800 silver.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet find. hope to see it cleaned up :headbang:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're right Ken. My guess is WWII EK2. Unfortunately the iron in the center is really brittle so it will fall out. Most times it is cracked also. But it will leave the nice silver surrounding and makes a great piece for display when cleaned up!

Congrats on a nice find Viddy!

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with worldtalker, electrolysis all the way

JClay

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been carefully working the crust off it and got the ring loose. Based on the size and it looks like it has an '800' stamped on it... I'd say it is similar to this one I think is a German Iron Cross 2nd Class WWI 1914-1918... but I need more detail of the middle.

Attachments

• iron cross 800  1.jpg
    iron cross 800 1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 114
  • iron cross 2nd class WWI 1914-1918.jpg
    iron cross 2nd class WWI 1914-1918.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 117

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we have such a cool hobby. cant wait to see this cleaned up.

dug an iron cross surfer's cross tonight. from research i did online, prob 1960's. not near as cool as your find though. but, I was out in the woods looking for civil war bullets.

best of luck getting it clean! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread