Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend we hit the woods, but didnt find anything worth to post. I had a crusted iron whatsit in my pouch with not much left to recognize.
Today i put it in the sandblasting cabinet in the shop to clean it a little. It turned out as a nice cast iron ram. Polished it with a wirewheel and now its ready for some clearcoat. Dont know for what it is or how it was mounted. Looks like fresh from the casting mould. Any suggestions from the experts?

Attachments

• CIMG4347_800_600.JPG
    CIMG4347_800_600.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 759
  • CIMG4350_800_600.JPG
    CIMG4350_800_600.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 774
  • CIMG4352_800_600.JPG
    CIMG4352_800_600.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 757
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, looks like it was a hook possibly from a clothes rack or something to hang things from. The lower part looks like it could have been broken off where the screw or fastener was. Interesting piece, decorative. HH, Mike

old marine

May 10, 2011
southern ky
Detector(s) used
fisher f 5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bavaria Mike said:
Just my opinion, looks like it was a hook possibly from a clothes rack or something to hang things from. The lower part looks like it could have been broken off where the screw or fastener was. Interesting piece, decorative. HH, Mike
maybe a door knocker

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike! That what looks like broken off is very small and not centered on the base. More like remains from the casting process than something to mount. And yes, its very decorative! I just wanted to check out a new media in the sandblaster and got this!

Attachments

• CIMG4354_800_600.JPG
    CIMG4354_800_600.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 726

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
High Plains Digger said:
Open loop on the top for attachment and flat big bottom. It's gotta be a door knocker.

In that case it would be a never-used knocker. There are no signs of wear on the loop, and the 'big flat bottom' has a nub that it seems would have been pounded flat with some use.
Or maybe not.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
My thought is, who ever uses a knocker when one comes to a door with one? Makes the whole house reverbate, scares the whatever out of the owner, and seems a lot less friendly than a soft nuckle bruser. I think the only ones that get used are on Windsor Castle and in the scary movies. And perhaps, the attached part of the knocker was softer metal, hence the separation of the matched set! You still think no way on a knocker?

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
High Plains Digger said:
My thought is, who ever uses a knocker when one comes to a door with one? Makes the whole house reverbate, scares the whatever out of the owner, and seems a lot less friendly than a soft nuckle bruser. I think the only ones that get used are on Windsor Castle and in the scary movies. And perhaps, the attached part of the knocker was softer metal, hence the separation of the matched set! You still think no way on a knocker?

You misunderstand me . . . By "Or maybe not." I meant "or maybe I'm mistaken." Everything else was simply my opinion of what I see in the pictures. And really, I'm not denigrating your opinion; just adding my own. Besides, I didn't say it wasn't a door knocker, I just said that it didn't look like it had been used.

Regarding the use of one: Whenever I find myself calling at a door with a knocker, I feel obligated to use it, it would be an insult to use anything else. A door knocker is there to keep visitors from chipping the paint by rapping at it with a cane, or by kicking the bottom of the door -- sometimes protected with a "kick plate", or even by leaving oily knuckle marks. Mind you, I don't have a knocker or a kick plate - just a doorbell, and it hasn't been cleaned once since I moved in some 3 years ago.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Perhaps you are right about using one. Out here, we mostly have the decorative door knokers, often with a name plate, that "tinkle" more than reverberate. With the use of storm doors, which are often locked, modern knockers are pretty much useless any way. Perhaps I should use it more, and save my poor hands for digging in the dirt.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Did we ever get a final determination on this, or will it just go down as a cool interesting thing, BOOM: the end???? Don't leave me hanging, bud!

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Well what ever it is , it's a cool find . :thumbsup: ( do u think it could be an old radiator Topper ? )

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it is a little difficult to identify. Door knocker comes close because of the form, but there is no attachment point for a hinge. First thought was some kind of handle, but again, nothing visible to attach it to something. Maybe it is fresh from the casting mould and missing parts which were later added to this thing. It is not deburred, that speaks for a unfinished part. Otherwise the place i found it has absolutly nothing to do with casting iron. :dontknow:

Attachments

• jnocker.jpg
    jnocker.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 184

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions