Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
A neighbor brought this by for me to look at. He said it was found many years ago on the back of his property which is less than a mile South of Chickamauga Battlefield. At first, I thought it was a preform for a hammer of some type, but the serrations on the wedge part then make no sense. Maybe an incomplete picket pin, again preform before the ring attachment? Most picket pins are simple in body shape though.

It is symmetrical, no writing, 15- 1/2" Long, ~1" thick.

20151031_111630.jpg

Huh, could it be for a pike?

Upvote 0
Joe-Dirt, define your meaning of pike?

Upvote 0
The barbs on the point make it plain that it was not to slip out of whatever got impaled on it. Perhaps a point for a grapple of some kind intended to be fired balistically. Perhaps a point for a ripgut fence?

Either way very cool find and something, I hope you'll find an answer to.

Congrats and best wishes!

Upvote 0
used to find parts like this in Europe, then I found an old iron fence that was about 90 cm long and 40 cm high. Looked like a fence piece that used to get built into certain stately structure in front of the windows.

I put mine in front of the snow peas bed for decoration.

Should stick that in some distilled water and freeze it over night, let it thaw and dry and then oil it up. should turn out really nice.

Upvote 0
No hole in end. Solid. Blacksmithed I believe.

my first thought was something like this...
35.JPG

But why the barbs?

Upvote 0
just some old style fence I would guess.

By any chance where you near an area that had a very old grave yard, or a washout down from an old plantation grave yard.

Upvote 0
an interesting piece indeed. ???

Upvote 0
It might be a blacksmith's eye drift tool (or punch)

Upvote 0
I remember seeing one posted in what is it a long time ago Ill try to find it I think it was a fence piece.

Upvote 0
Jackhammer bit?

I don't get the impression that it is Civil War related...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back