Is a used Tesoro Tejon a good deal 400$

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to buy a used Tesoro Tejon from a guy Ive known for many years , he bought the machine about 5yrs ago ,and used it a few times before his body started turning against him so its been boxed up for that time .I do think its a good deal caouse I know its recent history and the warranty goes with it . I have for the past few 5-7yrs used a Whites XLT ,but have used a Fisher 1266x in the past; it and the Tesoro seem similar that both have no ID screen and I believe both have disc 1&2 settings . Mostly I am wondering if the Tesoro will be easy to learn and is a good $400 dollar investment & will serve me well in the future with great finds , Thanks for any replys

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to buy a used Tesoro Tejon from a guy Ive known for many years , he bought the machine about 5yrs ago ,and used it a few times before his body started turning against him so its been boxed up for that time .I do think its a good deal caouse I know its recent history and the warranty goes with it . I have for the past few 5-7yrs used a Whites XLT ,but have used a Fisher 1266x in the past; it and the Tesoro seem similar that both have no ID screen and I believe both have disc 1&2 settings . Mostly I am wondering if the Tesoro will be easy to learn and is a good $400 dollar investment & will serve me well in the future with great finds , Thanks for any replys

Depends on what you're expecting to use it for/find with it.

$400 isn't a bad price for 1 that's 5 yrs old especially if it's "like new" cond.

The Tejon is a "hot" machine - it has high gain - is sparky!

Finds tiny targets - loves brass/gold- and very small pieces of it (deep).

A Tejon with a small 5.75 concentric coil in iron infested sites is a killer on target separation once you get use to its language and in what it's telling you.

The standard coil is avg. for gen purpose

the large 10x12 Tesoro coil is preferred to the large SEF butterfly coils as it seems to punch deeper and run smoother - get's good depth

overall if you're used to a beep/dig type machine and searching for relics (buttons especially) and/or small gold - it's a great machine and especially in/around iron/nails on old home sites/farms etc.

if you're a coin hunter looking for silver coins more than anything and like to hunt parks/schools mostly - there's much better out there for that purpose

The Tejon is more of a specialized tool to add to the collection for when you need it - it's not as good at being an all around everyday be all/do all type machine like your xlt is better suited for but it far exceeds the xlt in certain applications (although if you want to) you certainly could use it as an everyday machine because of the 2 disc dials that you can trigger between to check your targets and find many good finds I'm sure :-)

Personally - if it were me and I had those 2 machines - I'd hunt a property with the xlt 1st and clean out some of the junk as well as silver, copper, etc. and then go back over it with the Tejon a few times (using diff coils as you progress) because you'll be surprised at what you'll find (especially at old home sites/etc) - guaranteed!

good luck and HH

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the killer info [just what the Daver orderd LOL]. Yes this machine will fit me well as I do hunt many old home sites & alot of CW areas ,woods mostly with alot of small iron nails and such. Its also good to know the seller as I will make a payment of 100 bills and he will let me take the md with me @ that time. As a note on smaller targets my xlt seems lacking ,I dont dig many percussion caps ,slack on Nickels-even in the relic mode but it does sound off on 22 LR shells even many 22 shorts but usually not at a depth of more than as inch or two.The 1266x would do well on small targets like percussion caps and such until the battery pack shorted out. Seems about 6-now-7yrs the Tejon was the tool the oldtimers around here were raveing about with words like "button finding magnet" . now most old tmrs seem to have moved on to half one of the upper end Mine lab machines & the other half Fisher f3 or similar ,but I suppose its like guns which one ,cal or type fits that need at the time. So thanks again for your help ; now I truly believe that the Tejon will fit well into my relic hunting arsenal. Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread