Is a VLF a waste of time?

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ok im in the desert in south west Arizona and im looking at buying a detector. ive used a cheap MD that wouldn't ignore the black sand at all so im wondering if a PI is what I need. the gold here is pretty fine from what ive seen so can someone send me in the right direction im not looking to spend more than $1K.

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gollum thanks for the input. im going to give this thing a whirl if its not good ill sell it and try another. im pretty used to the snakes been outside my entire life used to hunt them quite a bit in the spring. as for water intake and heat im used to that as Ive been working in 140F in a plastic suit on 12 hr shifts for a while so I know what miserable is all about. those dang power plants are alittle warm this time of year. I feel like I drink an ocean of water every day and it still not enough. im thinking Ill probably go horse back most of the time to get to where I want to detect as I can make the steep country a lot quicker.

AHHHHH! So, Palo Verde is it? HAHAHA

No worries. I always see newbies talking about treasure hunting or heading out to the desert. A lot of times, they have no real working knowledge of the wilderness. Easy to die out there. People disappear and die in the Superstition Mountains every year. I just like to throw out some warnings.

Take Care - Mike

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yep I work in the valve shop out at palo verde. been there about a year now. I lean more toward the I&C side but the valve shop is ok. I feel like ive hauled half of Arizona home and ran in a sluice or crushed in my rock crusher so I figure a detector wouldn't be a bad weapon to have.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had vlf machines that have found gold, small gold. The PI machines will go deeper, but.....if there are other metallic objects around you will dig EVERYTHING. Here on the east coast, it's just not acceptable to dig 100 nails or bits of rust to get 1 good item. Research your areas well. A lot of the PI machines also weigh a ton and get hard to swing really fast. They'll wear you out. I love my Tesoros.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread