Is anyone using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your finds??

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interested to hear the answer here.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They use sound waves to clean...so most use just plain water. You can add a drop of dish soap to help if desired.

They do make a cleaning solution for them as well....Isonic and Blitz being 2 popular ones.

I do not own one but have been reading up on them lately as I plan on purchasing one soon...so take that with a grain of salt.

There very well could be models that "need" a solution of some sort. But from what I see and understand...most just use plain water as the sound waves are doing the work.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if they work any better than tumbler but don't expect shiny mint looking coins when you get done, they will be clean but not shiny

Look up on the internet for what others use.. I am sure there are threads on Tnet to

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ultrasonic cleaners don't work for our dug up finds. Maybe if you had jewelry that you couldn't get recesses cleaned, but for our coins and other normal finds, it does nothing that an old toothbrush can't do. It will not remove corrosion, oxidation, scale, etc. Many people have tried them over the years, all with the same results.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a cheap tumbler at harbor freight, use aquarium gravel, dish soap and water and tumble overnight. ...unless it's a valuable rare coin, in that case you need to have a professional do it.

cofresi

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item you ae going to clean must not touch the metal portion of the cleaning bowl, or it will wear your item badly. Always have the item suspended in the plastic basket for such cleaning. I used one on a old roman bronze coin. It took the bronze patina off and revealed it was actually a silver roman coin 310BCE.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tumbler for my clad, I was going to try and clean my jewelry finds with it, thanks for the input.

jlanders

Mar 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The use of a detergent depends on the contamination. If it’s purely mud, warm water will be sufficient, but if you need to remove other sorts of contamination a detergent can be useful. You need to make sure it’s a cleaning detergent that won’t attack the base metal you are cleaning.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Tried it, useless. It only cleans moderate dirt, which you can clean easily anyway. Anything tough like corrosion, forget it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just be careful...they are not kind to some stones in jewelry

Top Member Reactions