is bounty hunter good

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
I'm looking at buying the bounty hunter pioneer xe from a friend for 60 but want to make sure that is a good price he used it to find his keys he lost mowing the yard he only used it that once. I'm new to mding and right now I'm using a coinmaster 5000/d that my grandpa gave me when he died. I'm just tired of digging up coke tabs hence my name now because I'm real good at finding them. I'm just looking for something that will do good in the woods and grass and with iron soaked clay.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good price for the Bounty Hunter. But it wont do what you want it to do. Expect to pay several hundred dollars for a good used machine that will do that. Pull tabs are just part of the hunt. But if you choose not to dig them, you will need a modern machine. I use my visual display as much as I hunt with sound. So you may want a machine with a visual display also. A smaller coil may also help get around the trash. Sounds like you just getting started and still just doing some coin hunting. Thats great, but do you think you might try other types of hunts later? I started with a Bounty Hunter and still have it and use it today. Even though my Fisher metal detector is made by the same company, I bought it for what it can do. A T2 or F75 would be two really good detectors for you. I dont know much about the AT-Pro but folks here swear by em. These are all out of your price range. What I did was suffer the pull tabs and save for a better detector. We are only talking VLF detectors here, as there is other types like Pulse Induction that are not affected by mineralization. But our VLF machines are just limited to what they can do, no matter the price. Its just what you can put up with. You may be better off with the Whites you already have.

Last edited:

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a bh quickdraw 2 and I took it right back. If you buy a cheap detector its gonna be cheap.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bounty Hunter 202 which is very close to the quickdraw. The price was right and it does a good job. Nothing fancy just beep and dig.

OP
OP
C

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
Ok thanks for the help. I'm going to wait until I get my tax return and buy a nice one. Right now I'm researching the Denton area and just located a place to get a map from 1878 of the area turns out there was a bunch if outlaws running around in the town near me and I'm trying to research so I have somewhere to go when I get a nice detector to play.

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds cool Coketab. What state you from?

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm from Texas. Lots of history here

Nice. I would love to find some old west trails to hunt. Never know what you might find.

Hunter4T

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, coketab I'm from Texas, and just started. I fell your pain about just finding coke tab(s) I'm still looking for the big pay off....... I'm from West Texas. What part do you live. I'm having hard time finding info on old places, but I'm not giving up. Good luck!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, coketab I'm from Texas, and just started. I fell your pain about just finding coke tab(s) I'm still looking for the big pay off....... I'm from West Texas. What part do you live. I'm having hard time finding info on old places, but I'm not giving up. Good luck!

Hey West Texas, you have a great opportunity. I would suggest old abandoned rail road tracks or maybe some meteorite hunting also. The old tracks ore would fall off the train. Dont do the operating tracks, besides getting killed you will get arrested. Most folks dont know by the time you hear the train its already too late, thats why there is so many accidents.

You also might look at things like the Butterfield Stage Coach trail.

OP
OP
C

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
Ok is the coinmaster pro AT really good. I just won 250 on a football game and this machine is on sale and it has a bunch of cool functions and tells me what I'm possibly looking at in the ground before I dig and how deep it is. Also has a chippy in pin pointer I heard. I'm new to this so any feed back would be awesome

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I will be buying a at-pro in the spring and have looked into this extensively, if I was you I would wait and buy one of those....but thats just me:thumbsup:
Ok is the coinmaster pro AT really good. I just won 250 on a football game and this machine is on sale and it has a bunch of cool functions and tells me what I'm possibly looking at in the ground before I dig and how deep it is. Also has a chippy in pin pointer I heard. I'm new to this so any feed back would be awesome

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got an ATGold and got a BH 505 Pro (part of BOGO deal with kelleyco). My sons have found a lot of coins so far in parks and trails since Xmas. Happy with it so far. I like the ATPro as well. It's a good one to grow into. I went gold because of its higher frequency.
I like the Garrett's because they're waterproof up to 10'. If you're going to hit creeks. That's what I choose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread