Is eBay still worth the effort?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was a bookseller on eBay back in the early 2000's, and did fairly well,
but as my one business grew I no longer had time to put into listing
and shipping, etc.

Wife and I are wanting to start downsizing for the move we will eventually
have to make to a smaller place. The remaining books in my collection
have been culled through several times, and the several hundred that
remain should all sell above the $10 mark, and up to maybe $150 for a few.

I've gotten my eBay seller account up to date, but before I start listing
I thought I'd ask those currently selling on eBay if it's worth the effort,
considering the higher fees they are charging in today's market.

So, what say ye?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and shipping, etc.

So, what say ye?
There was a member @
  • CreakyDigger (hasn't posted for 11 months) He sold books online and would have been a great person to ask.

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know Creaky had a website, and he was also active on eBay. He specialized in religious books, and much of what I have is also focused on assorted Christian doctrine(s).

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to know the same thing. I started ebay in the late 90s. I bought and sold stuff fairly frequently. I never used any special shipping label options and shipped everything usps domestic and international. PayPal and even checks in the mail was how I was paid. Recently at my age I've decided to retire in a month and have collected treasures that I bought only because I felt it would do well on ebay or some other way to peddle online. I now have a healthy stock pile to get started. Should I get an ebay store or what?. The last time I sold on eBay was maybe 6 years ago now and it seemed buyers revealed with the idea they can just bitch more now since eBay stopped holding them accountable. Soon I'm going to have more time to focus on selling. I'm thinking on contacting this local gal, to maybe get a refresher on how now what to do... https://shari-sells.com/. I'd love to hear from any of you who are today's power sellers who frequent treasernet. Looking at TN's seller forum seems like a decent option also for some of what I have, as that looks super simple and to deal with mostly you good eggs would be assuring, which brings to mind, can I sell Ivory on TNs buy, sell and trade forum??

Last edited:

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and shipping, etc.

So, what say ye?
So much detail and you better consider their cut on anything. Can't stand Ebay and just about to delete them from my site :angry4:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
in my view, I would say it depends.

it depends on the what is being sold and the quantity of what is being sold.

it may be more efficient and less time consuming as a whole to sell to what may have been a like reseller or competitor.

ebay today is not the same ebay of 15 years ago.

Hinterlander

Dec 28, 2016
AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends, as long as you know that Ebay is Ebay. They're going to get roughly 15% off of everything, including what you charge for shipping. They are also now big on promoted listings, where you pay an additional X% of the sale to get your items higher in the algorithm. You select the percentage, if you even opt in. But using them does get your stuff in front of a pretty large audience.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've sold things all my life it seems.
Not anything on the sites as I have an issue with what their take is/requirements/and certainly have a problem with the shipping fees.
I would like to start though, and the categories of what site might fit with the least amount of hassles is the option.

So one does the Google search on which site is best rated
Who pays the most $$$ to get a good rating.
(Sometimes I feel like taking a shower after reading these reviews)

This site Shopify Canada I do know folks that sell through their site.
They have their own store on the site-huge set up but the benefits are paying off very well.
(To the point they have outgrown the bricks and mortar site in 2 years)

What does it take? Time-simple as that.
For security reasons it's sometimes better to have a site than doing close personal sales.
Less folks that know the physical location is a thing to consider also.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It all depends, as long as you know that Ebay is Ebay. They're going to get roughly 15% off of everything, including what you charge for shipping. They are also now big on promoted listings, where you pay an additional X% of the sale to get your items higher in the algorithm. You select the percentage, if you even opt in. But using them does get your stuff in front of a pretty large audience.
The latest comment from a close friend that deals in antique tractor parts is that Bay treats the small seller like any other business.
They requirements that they asked him to do over this past year is what it would take a tech. dept. to handle.
This effected his online sales then the PayPal on top to a point of loosing the use of it.
Just one small guy selling parts for decades without an issue.

Hard to keep all the candles burning at the sometime as there's just not enough time.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBay claims to have 132 million users, but that's a joke. I've had items listed for a month with ZERO views. How is that possible with that many users? I'll tell you how it works. If you don't offer 30 day returns with free returns, eBay will bury your listings. Hard to make a living on eBay when they stack the cards against you.

Another issue are the ridiculous fees. They charge around 13% of the sale price, another 13% of your shipping cost and to add insult to injury, now they're taking 13% of the sales tax the buyer paid! They pulled this off by eliminating Paypal and taking over "managed payments". Now I pay way more in fees and sometimes wait five days to get paid. They don't call it sleazeBay for nothing...

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it is not the same as it was 15-20 years ago. I believe I started in the early 2000's as well, books antiques, vhs, dvd's and in the later years 3D printed parts. Ebay take a larger piece of the profit compared to 20 years ago, and of course you can no longer take money orders, western union, just Paypal, so there goes even more of your profit. And lets not forget about Uncle Sam, if you sell over $600 he gets his share. (Political comment removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion eBay Only really worth it if your selling something that cost you nothing.

Yup, some of my best eBay sales were items I picked off someone's trash! Pure profit!

camichael

May 29, 2020
La Verne, Calif
Detector(s) used
White's, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a top rated seller for over 25 years on eBay (camichael). Last year's 1099 was over 200K. So I'd tell you that selling as a side line is great if you don't mind the 15% eBay takes and the items are higher prices. $10 items are not worth it in my opinion. However, that is what i usually start items at hoping to get some action going. I'm not a fan of books....

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing about shipping , If you sell something out of Ebay & take PayPal the fees are almost the same but the shipping fees for Fed Ex or UPS are much higher out of Ebay, IE= 30lb Cal. to Atlanta , UPS $91 , (Ebay $47) , Fed Ex $87, Ebay $39-$47, Plus you Get buyer & seller protection , I don't like the fees but listing on Craigs list & others has a lot of Spammers & How would someone in Alaska or anywhere find what you have .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BC5391, per our rules please leave political comments out of posts.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My son sells on Ebay and he seems to like it. He makes enough to survive just fine but he hasn't hit the 200k mark yet.
He buys storage units and sells for people, whatever others will buy.

I was thinking of getting into it too as a side hustle and backing away from the asphalt work but my wife doesn't want a bunch of junk stored at our place so I'd have to figure that out first.
He seems to think it's easy work and he doesn't seem to mind the fees at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread