Is "Injun" offensive to you?

Are you offended, or do you think it's offensive to call the Indian Head Penny an "Injun"

• Total voters

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is "Injun" offensive to you?

The only correct name for the coin in question is the "Liberty Head Cent." That's not an Indian on the front--unlike the Buffalo Nickel--that's Lady Liberty with a Native American Headdress.

(But popular names will always prevail. Just look at the Barber Nickel.) :P

-Buckleboy

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

Thank you for the schooling BuckleBoy, I hadn't even thought of that.

Lonnie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WindHarvester said:
Thank you for the schooling BuckleBoy, I hadn't even thought of that.

Lonnie

I'm not looking to school anybody--I just think history is neat. ;D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1960texan said:
In other words, it's bad enough that the European settlers (again, most of my ancestors) stole the Native American's land, decimated their (or "our", as I include the rest of my ancestry) populations through war and disease (smallpox blankets, anyone?). But to continue to call them Indians after over 500 years of getting the shaft is a bit callous, to say the least. I've got nothing against the great state of Illinois, but as a native Texan, I know I'd be pretty upset if someone referred to me as anything but.

1960Texan

I think you've stated the point that I often fail to communicate to others about my heritage. I definitely prefer to be called a Native American, because that's what my ancestry is made up of; those that were Native to this country before others who came here. I'm open when it comes to other races being here, because I've grown up in a cultural melting pot down in Florida... but even so, my family (heritage-wise) were living here before everyone else.

Bran <><

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

This is whats wrong with this country. Native American, African American, Cuban American, Mexican American....... We are AMERICANS. I could care less where you came from. Don't get me wrong, its nice to know where your ancestors are from, but everyone doesn't need to know. Then we get to slang terms being offensive. They are only words. If words can actually hurt you then maybe its time to get some professional help and quit being such a wimp..... IMHO

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

lucky1777 said:
This is whats wrong with this country. Native American, African American, Cuban American, Mexican American....... We are AMERICANS. I could care less where you came from. Don't get me wrong, its nice to know where your ancestors are from, but everyone doesn't need to know. Then we get to slang terms being offensive. They are only words. If words can actually hurt you then maybe its time to get some professional help and quit being such a wimp..... IMHO

Lucky - I agree... except that I think ONLY Native Americans can claim such a hyphonated title and still mean they ARE AMERICANS. It's like sayin they are American Americans... LOL. It's not associated with any other place or country first. Does that make sense?

This topic might get a little of course which I guess should be okay... after all I did ask a potentialy volitile question. :P

Great responses...

Buckles, like Jeffro, excellent points on the cents and and other portrait monies...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
Lucky - I agree... except that I think ONLY Native Americans can claim such a hyphonated title and still mean they ARE AMERICANS. It's like sayin they are American Americans... LOL. It's not associated with any other place or country first. Does that make sense?

I agree with you Montana. I kinda wanted to say that, but didn't want to seem like "that guy" that's whining about how "hard it's been for my people"... it's all in the past, even though I'm extremely proud of my heritage and that my great grandfather traced his side of the family directly back to Chief Sitting Bull. It makes me smile.

Bran <><

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

godisnum1 said:
Montana Jim said:

I agree with you Montana. I kinda wanted to say that, but didn't want to seem like "that guy" that's whining about how "hard it's been for my people"... it's all in the past, even though I'm extremely proud of my heritage and that my great grandfather traced his side of the family directly back to Chief Sitting Bull. It makes me smile.

Bran <><

Thanks... because it twists every gut that has to listen YOUR oppression about 160 years ago... neither you OR I can change it - and it's old news. Thanks for living in the present...

The Sitting Bull bloodline thing is pretty cool. :o He had 5 wives and many children.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

I was thinking more Continental Americas than US of America, I shoulda been clearer.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I am half Cherokee and half Hungarian and could care less what people call a cent. I am very strong in my Heritage on both sides ,but America has gotten so damn politically correct that its enough to make me throw up and I am tired of it...I have been called everything all my life from Squaw to Gypsy and dont care.....I disagree with them taking the school mascots and names away that has anything Native American and its just erasing who we are....My girls and I sing Half Breed all the time and laugh about it....people and cultures need to get over themselves and realize that we all come from different backgrounds ...but we are in the American Soup Kettle now. There are alot worse things to be called than an Injun.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

as teddy roosevelt basically said many years ago -- there only room for americans in america --- (anything - american is not american ) to be american you must be 100 % american dedicated to making this country stronger and planning to live the rest of your life here. ---- in otherwords you maybe a "AMERCIAN" WHO'S FAMILY CAME FROM MEXICO -- THUS YOU ARE OF MEXICAN DECENT BUT THERE IS NO "MEXICAN - AMERICAN" or "IRISH - AMERICAN" OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT --- it very plain and simple either you are or you are not a 100 % "AMERICAN" -- and english is the language we in america use in day to day "offical" bussiness so please learn it to better fit in and gain employment. (at home you may speak and keep your culture and speak your "native" tongue) but in the workplace -- your employers will expect you to be able to speak english.

if you are indeed planning to be a upstanding "legal" citizen and pay your taxes and "fit in" --welcome to america -- if not beat it .

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

I like the way Gypsy said it.

Basicly we as americans are mostly all "Muts".

(a mixture of many ethnic origins)

Hey,
Check me out.
My nose is cold.

Thom
OD

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts

im an 1/8 indian my wife is 1/2 indian injun isnt offensive to us at all. my son plays on a hockey team named the taconic braves with a indian profile on the front of his jersey. which is awesome. a team we play is named after jeffery amherst from the revolutionary war. the man who gave the blankets to the indians as gifts. oop's did he forget to tell them that the blankets came from soldiers who died from smallpox. what a guy.

Snowdragon

Jun 10, 2006
Graham, Texas

Things I find offensive:
Any form of child abuse
Murderers
Harming animals for fun
Liars, this includes con artists and people who scam for any reason
Politicians
Rude people
Greedy people

Nope, I guess "injun" isn't on my list

I'm in no way a politically correct person but I do try to be a good person.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum

I have some indian in me. I also have Polish, English and Pennsylvania Dutch. You can call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner. To be honest, it drives me nuts when people say these slang "nicknames" bother them. Who cares? Are we still in elementary school? Call me a Pollock and I will laugh in you face. I could care less. People need to get tougher and stop being such wimps. It is a word that means nothing. Everyone is so sensitive. Native American? America is what the spanish called it, right? So why would a true native to this country want to be called a Native American? All you sensitive indians, what was this land called if you are so in touch with your heritage? Most "indians" are just posers. You are not an indian in my book unless you still pray to the sun and the moon. Hunt your dinner and can live off the land. If you do not do these things, you are just an American, living in the developed world the Europeans have made for you. No offense is meant by my post, just my opinion. And no, injun is not offensive. Sorry Jim, got off the subject... ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

<--------- Pollock checking in to stir the pot

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No I don't think so.

I'm not offended if someone wants to call me a Honky either. It just shows their lack of finding an intelligent way to express their anger. Sticks and stones.

This country could go long way if instead of dividing ourselves by race, religion and creed, we need to say we are American.

But, in the growing sprit of gaining a minority status I designate myself German, or European American. If African Americans and Spanish Americans, and Gays can be classified, so can I. My people didn't come to this country until mid-1800's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread