Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have this posted in the "What is it"section but thought it might get some answers here. Found this on last Sundays hunt and have been trying to clean and ID ever since. WILL NOT USE PEROXIDE on this one as the top layer is sort of flaking off. One side shows a guy with a colonial wig,(my best guess), holding either a gun or a cythe. Looks like he is stepping to the right. His feet are "stars". There are 2 more stars to the left and 1 each around his head.You can see the eyes, and nose and what appears to me, a mustache. The other side has some design I can't ID as of yet, but it appears to have a date. There is still some crud left on it but it appears to read "1789" under magnification. The "7" and the "9", are longer than the other 2 digits. Around the rim ,it has the tiny lines that you would see around any other coin, which is more prevelent on the "dated" side. The coin is the size of a dime but is very heavy. This was found at a site we've been to over, and over, and over, again! NO site is truly ever hunted out. Because it looks like a coin or token ,my guess is there has to be others out there or has to be some record of this thing. There couldn't have been just 1 made because it looks like a die struck coin. For a small coin there is intricate detail in it. Hoping someone can shed some light. What the Heck did I discover now!? :icon_scratch: ;D

Attachments

• nv21-001.jpg
    nv21-001.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 387
  • nv21-002.jpg
    nv21-002.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 389
  • nv21-001.jpg
    nv21-001.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 395
  • nv21-002.jpg
    nv21-002.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 388
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find, have no clue yet, but still looking, perhaps a higher pixeled photograph may help for blowing up the pic and playing with(200-400kb), but I think your find might be a candidate for brass brush, tumble job or something harsh. Have you tried a toothpick on some of the covered areas?
I sure would not worry about value on this one :tongue3:, but IDing it sure would be great.

Don

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Interesting find, have no clue yet, but still looking, perhaps a higher pixeled photograph may help for blowing up the pic and playing with(200-400kb), but I think your find might be a candidate for brass brush, tumble job or something harsh. Have you tried a toothpick on some of the covered areas?
I sure would not worry about value on this one :tongue3:, but IDing it sure would be great.

Don
Don, My scanner only goes to 300kb and thats what I scanned it at. Weird lookin' thing though. Crud is coming off slowly. Maybe have more luck in a couple days. Should be identifiable though, as there is detail left. Hopeful you will find something on it. THANKS Todd PS------After I cleaned it off a little, soaked it in olive oil for a couple days hoping it would secure some of the detail, and soften up the crud. Actually seemed to work. Now I gotta get the rest of it off of where I think the date is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting and I can see what you describe. Looks like something that you either know, but if you don't a hard piece to research. At least you have enough to go on to possibly figure it out.

Any one know if they made peace/friendship medals that small? It's the first thing I would look into being that style, that thickness and weight, and having the 1789 date.

In other words... I'm clueless. :D (But I like it)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's another spot open on the Banner for you Hogge ;D It definetly has that crusty mode going for it,hope it's something good.Update it when you know,wish I could help.!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread