ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please help me identify this coin
This is the only side i can make out any markings so far.

. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586197498.609763.jpg .

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nova Constellatio. There are a number of varities.

13428094r.jpg
13428094o.jpg

Upvote 0

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, don't use baking soda. That is for silvers. Use either a soft toothpick or Andres pencils (look them up.)
Nice find!

Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the baking soda technique works with copper Based on the picture, I don't think you can do anything to improve it.

Upvote 0

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Is it worth anything or can I go to town on copper cleaning techniques?

I would leave it as it is, Novas are important in U.S. coinage history, as they were some of the first coins that were made after the U.S. gained its Independence, they are hard to find and fairly rare as well. Also any sort of cleaning may wipe away any details that are on the coin. If I were you I would display it just like that, it is a great find and you probably don't want to try the wrong cleaning technique and ruin it.

Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave it as it is, Novas are important in U.S. coinage history, as they were some of the first coins that were made after the U.S. gained its Independence, they are hard to find and fairly rare as well. Also any sort of cleaning may wipe away any details that are on the coin. If I were you I would display it just like that, it is a great find and you probably don't want to try the wrong cleaning technique and ruin it.
Agreed!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will soaking it in olive oil help out before the andres pencils arrive? I know most have said leave as is but some of the crud comes right off with my finger so i would like to try to get some more detail if advisable

Upvote 0

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Excal / Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! Congrats that's a bucket lister. If you do try to clean it up, just be sure you don't take detail off trying to get detail.
id give it a "LIKE" but not sure how to....help

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a cool very special coin! I see three paths forward. 1.) keep as is, this is the safest approach, maybe coat with Renaissance wax to preserve the details and stop flaking. 2.) very, very lightly use the soft Andres pencil, maybe it will remove some of the brown and create a more consistent green as there is a good chance that most of the detail is supported precariously in the verdigris. 3.) more aggressively use the soft Andres pencil to remove most of the crust and verdigris and hope you have a decent amount of details left then coat with Vaseline and polish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a cool very special coin! I see three paths forward. 1.) keep as is, this is the safest approach, maybe coat with Renaissance wax to preserve the details and stop flaking. 2.) very, very lightly use the soft Andres pencil, maybe it will remove some of the brown and create a more consistent green as there is a good chance that most of the detail is supported precariously in the verdigris. 3.) more aggressively use the soft Andres pencil to remove most of the crust and verdigris and hope you have a decent amount of details left then coat with Vaseline and polish.

Thank you for the methods of approach!!

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In restoring that coin, for more details, remember cleaning it will de-value it more. But, if done
by professionals, you could get it graded/valued then..., slab it, and put it in your safety deposit box...!
Valuable coin - great Find! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In restoring that coin, for more details, remember cleaning it will de-value it more. But, if done
by professionals, you could get it graded/valued then..., slab it, and put it in your safety deposit box...!
Valuable coin - great Find! :icon_thumright:

I am highly considering doing that, although have never done that before. Based on values i think the coin might be worth around $70. Do you have an idea of what it would cost to have it professionally cleaned and graded/slabed. Its my first cool find on a neat permission I have so it means alot to me so thinking of doing it the pro way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking of sending it into pcgs for restoration if possible and grading. i would do this to protect the coin, confirm it is the actual coin, and still be able to show it off. is this the recommended approuch?

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking of sending it into pcgs for restoration if possible and grading. i would do this to protect the coin, confirm it is the actual coin, and still be able to show it off. is this the recommended approuch?

YES, especially with a potentially high-value coin, and personal reasons, too...!
I suggest taking it to nearest coin dealer, and get more advice, maybe even a tentative grade.
He should know where go next, and start getting idea of Costs vs Value...whether or not its
worth all the hassle...!

Personal worth is much, much more..., isn't it?
I have all my finds still - each find indelibly etched in my memory.
Each hunt was special...!
Today, hunting an area for the fourth time, I found five more coins,
but I'll remember it as the Dinosaur hunt - a toy, with a three-coin spill,
four inches deep!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions