Is it a pearl? Beading....

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am into beading necklaces and bracelets.
I make all newly used pieces, and also spotlight antique beads no longer most-likely in production .
I got a nice costume jewelery looking piece with a small SeT of pearls. However I dint know if they could be real?? My friend said rub then on your teeth. I tried to peel back the coating back if one was fake, but couldn't. Does anyone else have a more simple way to check? Try to float them in water?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teeth is easiest... wash them first then rub ONE gently across your tooth... preferably a tooth like lower etc... if goes across smooth then its fake... if it is gritty / sandy feeling... real.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and...

Don't get hopes up too high if they are real... value has plummeted on "regular" pearls in general.

I see strands sell for ridiculously low prices.

OP
OP
GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a forty percent off coupon at big named craft stores and get potato pearls to bead with that are new super cheap. I literally made necklaces for my brides maids as gifts when I did marry.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that the ‘tooth test’ only helps you distinguish between artificial and genuine pearls but won’t distinguish between natural and cultured. Other indicators are that the drill holes have edges which are free from chipping and that the pearl is not completely uniform. Natural pearls will have at least some surface imperfections visible with a loupe.

It’s a common myth that natural pearls form around pieces of sand or grit. It's theoretically possible, but a rare occurrence in the wild. Most natural pearls are formed as a defensive mechanism against parasitic worms and sponges boring into the shell. For cultured pearls, the producers transplant a speck of oyster mantle tissue into the host shell to provoke the reaction, or insert an artificially made spherical bead (which may itself be made from ground up oyster material). The latter also encourages more uniform shapes, but they usually only have a thin coating of nacreous 'pearl' material around them.

The only reliable way to determine if a pearl is cultured rather than natural is by X-ray but there are a few things you can check as indicators (at least on ‘white’ pearls), with varying degrees of reliability depending on how thick the nacreous layer is around the core.

- Cultured pearls are sometimes significantly less dense, although the composition of the artificial bead nucleus can be adjusted to have a similar density to natural pearls.

- It may be possible when using a loupe to examine the drill hole to see a difference in colour and texture between the nucleus and the external nacre in cultured pearls.

- If you roll the pearl (or strand) on a white surface under a strong light, thin-skinned cultured pearls will ‘wink’ at you, showing brighter and darker spots as you roll them. This is the bead showing through the nacre.

- If you hold the pearl over very bright light such as a powerful flashlight that allows the beam to be focussed, thick-skinned cultured pearls will usually show the interior bead as a darker round smudge and thin-skinned ones will reveal a series of parallel stripes representing the growth layers around the bead. You won’t see this in natural pearls.

- If you place the pearl against a black background (a small box lined with black velvet is perfect) and place it under a strong light you can usually see a thin brown line between the exterior nacre and the bead nucleus. Natural pearls are less transparent and will appear as a white, homogenous ball with no discernible inner rings.

OP
OP
GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scratched some of the outside off with a pin. I think it was glass with s coating over it. Thx for all the info. though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread