Is it ever ok to use the S word with a teller?

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it ever ok to use the 'S' word with a teller?

I stopped and asked a teller for half dollar coins. She said she had some in the tray, and some rolls. I edge checked the tray and said I only really wanted rolls - the tray was very apparently void of anything interesting for halves.

There was a single silver dime in the tray. It was in the very bottom slot of the tray - more than $5 into it. If the Ag were near the middle, I would have asked for $4 worth of dimes, then a roll would not have been involved. Because of where it was, I suspect she knew it was there and knew it was silver. As badly as I wanted to, I did not ask for it at all. Should I have asked for "just the one dime at the bottom?" or "all the loose dimes you got?" or "the SILVER one?" or "the one worth 25x face value?"

Anyone have any ideas for this situation in the future?

Upvote 0

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is it ever ok to use the 'S' word with a teller?

I'd have asked for all of the dimes in her tray.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just tell yourself "It wasn't silver- it was Canadian".

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed with usandthem. Just point and ask for all of them. Maybe she'll be happy because that means less counting work for her. If she suggests you take a roll or two instead, you could say ... uh ... that the loose ones won't leave an unsightly bulge in your pocket. :-O

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

alrighty then..... When you encounter silver at the bottom of the tray it is 99% of the time put there on purpose 100% if more then one. At that point i will ask if they collect coins. No matter what they say [again only if it is at the bottom] i will then ask for the coin at the bottom because i collect coins and that is one of the ones i collect. I recently got lucky at a TD and they gave me the quarters but not the dimes odd as that sounds. When asking the teller she told me they save them to send back. After giving me the quarters but not the dimes i said thank you and told her to not send them back but to keep them for herself.

DarkRider23

May 31, 2011

"You see that dime with a different rim there? It looks to be in good condition since the copper isn't showing yet and I'm a collector. Is there any way I can get that one?"

That's the best way I can think of. Gotta tell a little white lie to keep the silver out of the equation.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

quiksilver said:
ask if they collect coins. No matter what they say [again only if it is at the bottom] i will then ask for the coin at the bottom because i collect coins and that is one of the ones i collect.

DarkRider23 said:
"You see that dime with a different rim there? It looks to be in good condition . . . Is there any way I can get that one?

I like both of these suggestions. I might even go back, ask for the halves in the tray "that I passed on yesterday" and try for that dime - if it is still there. If it's gone, she was obviously holding it till the end of the shift or for a friend.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Here is what I'd do:

I'd go back and simply ask if she would sell you that dime because you are a collector. If she replies "No, that one is silver", then tell her you thought it might be Canadian...because you collect those too.

If it turns out to be Canadian, just buy the thing. Don't screw it up by passing on it.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

I tell them I am a collector and ask for the coin that looks different in the row. This is a factual statement and only twice has a teller refused.

Maine_Jim

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maine_Jim said:
I tell them I am a collector and ask for the coin that looks different in the row. This is a factual statement and only twice has a teller refused.

Maine_Jim

I would have to agree with Maine_Jim :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread