is it Illegal to be over 16 & Wear a Clown Mask in Tampa ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it Illegal to be over 16 & Wear a Clown Mask in Tampa ?

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- A Tampa man faces
charges after a deputy spotted him walking
in a clown mask.

According to jail records, the man was arrested
Tuesday and charged with wearing a mask
or hood on a public road over the age of 16
and
resisting arrest without violence.

a deputy saw the man wearing a clown mask and bright wig as he walked down a street with two other people. ?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_MASKED_MAN?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: is it Illegal to be over 16 & Wear a Clown Mask in Tampa ?

Don't believe so? But this part of the article may show why...

The St. Petersburg Times reported that a deputy saw the man wearing a clown mask and bright wig as he walked down a street with two other people. The group fled when deputies tried to question them, but were later located.

Looks like they "fled" when deputies tried to question them. Suspicious behavior, none-the-less. :icon_scratch:

Bran <><

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

godisnum1 said:
Don't believe so? But this part of the article may show why...

The St. Petersburg Times reported that a deputy saw the man wearing a clown mask and bright wig as he walked down a street with two other people. The group fled when deputies tried to question them, but were later located.

Looks like they "fled" when deputies tried to question them. Suspicious behavior, none-the-less. :icon_scratch:

Bran <><

Most likey it was more the fleeing that got him arrested then the mask.....It is against the law to flee from the police, wearing the mask then adds to the charge. If he had not tried to flee, odds are he would not have been arrested, only warned.....

Florida Law Title XLVI CRIMES
Chapter 876 CRIMINAL ANARCHY, TREASON, AND OTHER CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER
876.13 Wearing mask, hood, or other device on public property.--No person or persons shall in this state, while wearing any mask, hood, or device whereby any portion of the face is so hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter upon, or be, or appear upon or within the public property of any municipality or county of the state.

876.155: Applicability; ss. 876.12-876.15. -- The provisions of ss. 876.12-876.15 apply only if the person was wearing the mask, hood, or other device:
(1) With the intent to deprive any person or class of persons of the equal protection of the laws or of equal privileges and immunities under the laws or for the purpose of preventing the constituted authorities of this state or any subdivision thereof from, or hindering them in, giving or securing to all persons within this state the equal protection of the laws;

(2) With the intent, by force or threat of force, to injure, intimidate, or interfere with any person because of the person's exercise of any right secured by federal, state, or local law or to intimidate such person or any other person or any class of persons from exercising any right secured by federal, state, or local law;

(3) With the intent to intimidate, threaten, abuse, or harass any other person.

(4) While she or he was engaged in conduct that could reasonably lead to the institution of a civil or criminal proceeding against her or him, with the intent of avoiding identification in such a proceeding.

876.16: Sections 876.11-876.15; exemptions. -- The following persons are exempted from the provisions of ss. 876.11-876.15:
(1) Any person or persons wearing traditional holiday costumes;
(2) Any person or persons engaged in trades and employment where a mask is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer, or because of the nature of the occupation, trade, or profession;
(3) Any person or persons using masks in theatrical productions, including use in Gasparilla celebrations and masquerade balls;
(4) Persons wearing gas masks prescribed in emergency management drills and exercises.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the hood / mask laws go back to old KKK klansmen days to prevent "kkk" members from terrorizzing folks and hiding behind hoods or mask while doing it -- note the law doesn't apply to 16 year olds and younger -- (so it does not stop-- trick or treaters ) -- its aimed at adult folks who use masks to hide their faces while doing illegal acts . --- it also prevents the kkk from legally marching there with their faces "hidden" from veiw .-- they can "march" there but their faces must be exposed to the public veiw.

criminals also often try to "hide" their faces via masks to prevent being IDed .

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota

ivan salis said:
the hood / mask laws go back to old KKK klansmen days to prevent "kkk" members from terrorizzing folks and hiding behind hoods or mask while doing it -- note ithe law doesn't apply to 16 year olds and younger -- (so it does not stop-- trick or treaters ) -- its aimed at adiut folks who use masks to hide their faces while doing illegal acts . --- it also prevents the kkk from legally marching there with their faces "hidden" from veiw .-- they can "march" there but their faces must be exposed to the public veiw.

criminals also often try to "hide" their faces via masks to prevent being IDed .

Yep, what Ivan said.

John

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:tongue3: Yup! What you said Ivan!

Attachments

• You Betchum Kemosabe\'.JPG
    You Betchum Kemosabe\'.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 246
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

although wearing a mask is lame,

I Still find it Sad the police have nothing better to do
with their time these days.

i guess the right ones wern't arrested yet
to get the Aclu involved

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota

jeff of pa said:

to get the Aclu involved

I'm all for letting people doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else but,,,,, a guy walking down the road wearing a clown mask should have a reason for doing so. Too many child abductions in this country (along with other violent crimes). Wearing masks in public is not in the norm of public behavior. I don't think I'm the only one that thinks this am I? I don't really think the guy should have been arrested, but just checked out by the officer.

John

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blurr said:
jeff of pa said:

to get the Aclu involved

I'm all for letting people doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else but,,,,, a guy walking down the road wearing a clown mask should have a reason for doing so. Too many child abductions in this country (along with other violent crimes). Wearing masks in public is not in the norm of public behavior. I don't think I'm the only one that thinks this am I? I don't really think the guy should have been arrested, but just checked out by the officer.

John

I bet odds are 99 out of a 100 he would not have been arrested if he had not tried to flee when the police tried to talk to him...You flee when police try to talk to you odds are your going to get arrested...

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500

when he ran he acted like a BOZO ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

humm a "masked" man walking about in public --not on halloween **** who flees when police approach him -- nope nothing "suspicious" sounding about that at all. :help:

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_scratch: Hummmm! A masked man with fleas? Oh, I see what you wrote..... Never mind! :laughing9: ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

flee -- to run away --- a person flees (runs away from) another -- like a crook from a police man --- you are thinking of "flea's" --a group of very small rather bothersome pest.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing9: In the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "It's a Joke, Son, it's a joke!" " A group of very small rather bothersome pests." What, like lawyers?" :laughing9: I'm joking people, don't get wierd on us. I like cops, some of my best friends aren't "poliuce" men. ;D :laughing9:

Sorry Ivan, I know that's a cheap shot but I couldn't resist. :notworthy:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

me got fatfingeroisis -- u is next to i on keyboard -- two fer one special.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing9: Good, sometimes I get it too. Results in finger waving and a lot of loud noises. I think they were gunshots! :laughing9:
Sometimes my parrot pops the keys off and I just guess where they go back on. Sometimes I'm not so right. "Finger" comes out like "kvisje" Either I speak another language or the keys are wrong. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread