Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i recently lost 2 of my places one till after hunting season is over and the other they sold so i have been playing phone tag today for old ferry crossings etc after 19 calls to owners i have 0 permissions am i the only one who finds it getting harder to get permission
I find it easier because I use to be so nervous to ask for the permission. I never got a no yet. Just wish I had the free time to hunt all these spots more. I do however ALWAYS ask permission in person at a decent hour of day. You don't want to be knocking on someone's door after dark or it will probably freak them out. Just be friendly and if they do say no leave just as friendly in case they change their mind. It happened to me, I got no at first and before I got to my car they asked a few more questions then changed their mind in the end. I myself would only phone if the person would know who I am or I know them enough to save the trip to talk person! :)

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been trying to work up the nerve for a bit now also for a few permissions. I tried one over the phone last year and got a no. I don't think I will ever ask over the phone again. It's already an odd thing to ask, so I think it makes it that much more uncomfortable for a property owner over the phone. I've been trying to think of the best speech to give when approaching this situation.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not use a phone call to try to get permission unless I already had a relationship with the person. Always go in person.

OP
OP
A

amos316

Greenie
Aug 9, 2007
calhoun
Detector(s) used
at pro
f70
well the problem with in person for me is i take care of my grandparents through the week so only day off i have is on sunday and most people are in church so im limited on contact options maybe ill mail letters instead

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many scams nowadays people don't trust phone calls.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the problem with in person for me is i take care of my grandparents through the week so only day off i have is on sunday and most people are in church so im limited on contact options maybe ill mail letters instead
I think the mail would be worse than a phone call.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So head out with your detector on a Sunday early and knock. If they are home and you get a yes then start hunting. Even better you might get a yes and then they are off to church and you'll have peace and quiet while you hunt! :)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even answer my phone if I don't recognize the number. 99% of the time it's a telemarketer, scam, or political call (also a scam).

So what's wrong with doing some door knocking in early Sunday afternoon? People are back from church, just had a good sunday lunch and are now full and happy. You couldn't ask for a better time to ask for permission!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knock on the door and ask. Be polite, shoot the breeze and in no time they will be asking you if you ever find anything. If they give you a no, ask them if they know of any other places that might be good to hunt. 9 times out of 10 this will lead to a half hour conversation and they will give you more spots to look at and probably end up letting you detect their place.

If the answer is a stern no, thank them for their time and tell them you apologize if you bothered them.

If someone where to ask you to detect at your place, what would you expect them to say to you? That will help you with what to say.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If your going to knock on doors you may want to try this. Go buy a few bibles wholesale. Knock on the door as a bible salesman. After you close the sale or are turned down, tell them about your hobby and ask to detect.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to knock on doors you may want to try this. Go buy a few bibles wholesale. Knock on the door as a bible salesman. After you close the sale or are turned down, tell them about your hobby and ask to detect.

I seriously hope you are joking. It's impossible to tell because you have no emoticons to give a clue. If you are serious, I can only say that this is one of the worst possible ideas I have EVER heard.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I seriously hope you are joking. It's impossible to tell because you have no emoticons to give a clue. If you are serious, I can only say that this is one of the worst possible ideas I have EVER heard.

I use to work as a door to door salesman. The product doesn't matter. The point is, it would work. Might try it when I retire.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to work as a door to door salesman. The product doesn't matter. The point is, it would work. Might try it when I retire.

I disagree. Be upfront and tell the truth. Hiding ulterior motives behind the bible is not a good idea.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. Be upfront and tell the truth. Hiding ulterior motives behind the bible is not a good idea.

I agree 110%. Had a salesperson call on us in the group I work with that did this. Just not a good idea in work or personal situation.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Deceiving someone so you can detect on their land is certainly not a good way
to introduce yourself!
I couldn't trust a person who did that!
You might start off with sharing some of the things you have found and or your methods of target retrieval!
Lying to them will get you nowhere!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Deceiving someone so you can detect on their land is certainly not a good way
to introduce yourself!
I couldn't trust a person who did that!
You might start off with sharing some of the things you have found and or your methods of target retrieval!
Lying to them will get you nowhere!

I probably didn't express correctly my thought. The premise is that if you are going around knocking on doors you should get a product that you can sell door to door. Company's are always looking for cold canvasers. It could be going to a fence company and representing them as a commisioned salesman. Your not deceiving your selling a product or service. I mentioned bibles as a product because I knew someone who did that for a living. Door to door salesman are in a good position to mention their hobby. Especially because people generaly buy from people they like and trust. And if they can't buy, they generaly have a good impression of you. If they don't you should try another line of work. You'r not deceiving . You really are selling a product or service and getting to know 10 or more home owners a day. I hope this clears it up.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably didn't express correctly my thought.

No, you expressed your idea just fine. Nobody else thinks its was a good idea, and trying to change your story only makes you look that much more guilty.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-596990968.jpg

Top Member Reactions