Is it legal for me to....

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am by no means an expert, but I don't see why not... We cannot melt down US copper cents, now canada... those are not american. :dontknow:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Do you actually have 15 lbs of Canadian copper cents? That's a lot.

There's no laws I can think of in the US banning destruction of foreign coins. Why would they even bother creating such a law?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call ahead. I can't imagine that a scrap yard will be the best place to get rid of such a thing. I would imagine the price they pay would be terrible. Then again, maybe not. Let us know what you find out.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically it is not illegal to sell US copper cents to a scrap yard, but it is illegal for the scrap yard to melt them. Food for thought.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
SFBayArea said:
Do you actually have 15 lbs of Canadian copper cents? That's a lot.

There's no laws I can think of in the US banning destruction of foreign coins. Why would they even bother creating such a law?

I was thinking the same thing. I'd be very interested to know how much the scrapyard will pay for copper Canadian cents. I'm skeptical as well, as they'd have to verify that all the ones you sold them were actually copper. Still, I'm holding mine, as well as the 99.9% nickel nickels...

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
You could also just put them up on Feebay. They usually go for around 2xFace on Feebay. I don't have that many to sell of course. I do seperate the 1979 & before ones, then the 1980-81's, and then finally the 82-96's all separately.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian cents had varying amounts of copper in their cents, so you may not get the exact amount for the copper.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
sagittarius98 said:
Canadian cents had varying amounts of copper in their cents, so you may not get the exact amount for the copper.

That's why you seperate

1.) 1979 & Before
2.) 1980-1981
2.) 1982-1996

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i;ve got 50 lbs of the funny up north pennys. all pre 96 but majority are 70's and 80's. i'll have to do more sorting

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
TakeDownTick50 said:
This makes me wonder whether you can take U.S. cents to Canada and melt them. :o :o

It is illegal to export more than $5 of US pennies, the only expection is for Numistic purpose and then no more than $100.

namster said:
Technically it is not illegal to sell US copper cents to a scrap yard, but it is illegal for the scrap yard to melt them. Food for thought.
s

I do not believe that is true. The companies that buy foreign coins often melt them if there is no better way to covert them to US cash.

Scrap yards can buy and melt foreign coins, but your best price in on Craig's List to someone who wants to invest in copper or nickel. He may be willing to pay spot.

I currently have 12 lbs of Canadian pre 1980 pennies and 9 of pre 1982 Nickels

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIhunter said:
I do not believe that is true. The companies that buy foreign coins often melt them if there is no better way to covert them to US cash.

Read my post again, carefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread