gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have worked several cemeteries, all with permission. Sometimes the pastor or minister of the nearby church has the say-so, and sometimes you need to find the caretaker if it is not connected to a church. I have had better luck getting permission from ministers than caretakers of private cemeteries. Some folks will always get weirded out by the thought our detecting there, but most just don't realize we are just scanning the top of the soil, and that our machines won't even see a grave or it's contents at six feet down. Ask, and be discreet about when you go there if you do get permission if it is an active graveyard. I'm sure people at an active burial don't need any distraction.

luckyike

Jan 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a very strict state (Ind) on metal detecting. Especially digging. Recently I went to a site where there was supposed to be an old graveyard but it was no longer visible. It was on State ground. I took my MD and a small rake thinking I might find a metal marker or something slightly under the surface to identify the site. I stopped at the DNR office to get permission and a woman warden there told me three or four times I could use the metal detector but absolutely 'NO DIGGING' ... so I just abandoned my efforts ... another small family burial plot lost to eternity ...

chakra22

Oct 26, 2012
Columbus Michigan
Detector(s) used
Newbie --Researching for one now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya and some people will bury a coin or so at a grave too as a keep sake

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Another thought: what if the graveyard has a fence around it, but there are narrow areas of grass on both sides of the sidewalk outside of the fence? The city owns these easements? So just go ahead & detect, or ask police if there's a fine?
If you know something about this type of situation, please let us know. I should add, 1 side of the cemetery is on a main (commercial) street, the other sides are residential areas. HH, George (MN)

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd never hunt a graveyard even with permission nope no can do lol

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a very strict state (Ind) on metal detecting. Especially digging. Recently I went to a site where there was supposed to be an old graveyard but it was no longer visible. It was on State ground. I took my MD and a small rake thinking I might find a metal marker or something slightly under the surface to identify the site. I stopped at the DNR office to get permission and a woman warden there told me three or four times I could use the metal detector but absolutely 'NO DIGGING' ... so I just abandoned my efforts ... another small family burial plot lost to eternity ...

I live in Indiana and havent noticed anything anymore strict than most any other state I have looked in.....the people you ask will differently make a difference for sure...ask a local cop and see what he says....if any one complains, good chance he will be the one that shows up and will just ask what you have found...LOL

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I use to find alot of old coins playing in an old graveyard near my house, just wondered if I would get in trouble detecting the grounds on not the graves? I don't want Evil Spirits after me....LOL
I am very new to this and that said. It never even crossed my mind to Md a grave yard. That is pure wrong even if it is legal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions