Is it legal to detect on Bank Foreclosed properties?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never looked into it, but my thoughts would be that yes, it's illegal. Still private property, so you still need permission from the owner[bank]

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not legal unless you have the express permission of the bank that owns it.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Bottom line - property is still owned by someone. So, if it ain't owned by you and the owner gets upset - you can be charged with trespassing...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw an ad on Craigslist about mowing foreclosed property's,so I called them up and asked them about the details,basically I go over there & and mow the property & take a picture and email it to them.They never said anything about NOT metal detecting in the yard while I'm there:dontknow:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw an ad on Craigslist about mowing foreclosed property's,so I called them up and asked them about the details,basically I go over there & and mow the property & take a picture and email it to them.They never said anything about NOT metal detecting in the yard while I'm there:dontknow:

Think I like this guy!!!!! Hahaha

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Well, gee .... they never said anything about "not" detecting the yard, whether you'd mowed it OR NOT, for that matter :)

Yup, nameless faceless banks out of town, or even in other states, have got these foreclosed properties. This subject has come up before, if you search the t'net archives. You want the technical answer? Or the realistic answer?

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on where you are. I caught seven people harvesting pecans on my property and called the police. Police said they couldn't do anything unless I had posted sign forbidding tresspassers.

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you are. I caught seven people harvesting pecans on my property and called the police. Police said they couldn't do anything unless I had posted sign forbidding tresspassers.
Wow, then that opens up a whole lot of new hunting spots. That is pretty ridiculous.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the house Beside me was Foreclosed. The bank Hired a Maintenance person
to keep the Grass mowed, I simply struck up a friendly conversation with him & within
minutes got a "I don't care, Go for it " :laughing7:

Just remember Banks have Board members & meetings & insurance,
and all types of Paranoid people that think their profit may drop a %
if you sue them over a twisted ankle,
which would put them all on the streets living in cardboard boxes :tongue3:

so Expect a No from most of, if not all the Banks.
on the other hand a Hired grounds keeper
is probably just happy for the quick conversation
before getting back to work :thumbsup:

I saw an ad on Craigslist about mowing foreclosed property's,so I called them up and asked them about the details,basically I go over there & and mow the property & take a picture and email it to them.They never said anything about NOT metal detecting in the yard while I'm there
dontknow.gif

Of course another plan, even if not advertised, Find foreclosed places not being maintained.
Hire yourself out to mow them,
Then help yourself to detecting spots :icon_thumright: after all Your being paid to be there,
and just cleaning up the scrap :icon_thumleft: just remember in this case, silence about
detecting is golden.
& Nobody said you had to mow the grass & scram.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

kenley, This is a true legal statement. May not pass "moral muster" (because certainly those persons knew the pecans were likely someone's personal labors).

There was a certain vacant lot, in a historic district of a small burg near me here in CA. We pulled a few old coins and buttons from the lot. It wasn't fenced or posted. However, one day we saw that someone had made the lot into a vegetable garden. As such, they had to rototill the entire lot up. During that process, it brought a few more oldies to the surface. And over the years, whenever we saw that the annual rototilling had occured (and while it was still fallow though), we'd try our luck yet again.

One year however, I arrived at the veggie lot to see new signs posted "keep out" "private property", and so forth. So ... with tears in our eyes, we figured our spot was ended. However, since we were already there, we figured it "wouldn't hurt" to hunt the dirt road that divided between the lot, and an adjacent community grange hall type building. Ie.: we figured we could hunt around the peripheries a bit, while staying outside of where the actual signs were.

We were doing that for about 10 minutes, when a truck pulled up along-side the curb. I could see gardening equipment in the back. I thought "Oh no! We're going to get booted!". So .... we slllooowwwllly started to work our way back to the street ourselves, all the while expecting to get scrutinized. But the man never paid us any mind. He just unloaded some gear, and started working on his veggies stuff. Never said a word to us.

Later, I related this story to an employee of mine who lives near that little burg. Turned out, that this man was his father! The father had gotten permission from the grange or whomever's lot that was, to put a garden on there. When I asked why these "no trespassing" signs suddenly appeared, he said that a week or so earlier, he had arrived at his veggie plot, he had arrived just in time to see people picking and stealing his veggies. So he'd gotten there license plate #. He called the sheriffs. The Sheriff came and surveyed the situation. They said there was nothing they could do with the license #, since the lot was not posted or fenced (lest the thief could merely say "I didn't know"). So the man .... therefore PUT signs up, so as to have "teeth" for any future such incidents. My employee said that his dad could care less about someone detecting, or someone who's simply walking through, or whatever. It was strictly a matter of enforcement for veggie thieves.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Oh, and by the way, this legal loophole .... I'm not sure how it would work on yards of homes. Somehow, there *has* to be an exception to yards of homes. Because ... I mean .... duh ... no one has "no trespassing" signs on their lawns in typical suburbia residential homes. It's just .... uh ... "understood", that you don't go yard to yard "simply because there's no signs saying no trespassing". So I'm not sure what the criteria is for when the fences/postings are needed, verses when they are "implied".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and by the way, this legal loophole .... I'm not sure how it would work on yards of homes. Somehow, there *has* to be an exception to yards of homes. Because ... I mean .... duh ... no one has "no trespassing" signs on their lawns in typical suburbia residential homes. It's just .... uh ... "understood", that you don't go yard to yard "simply because there's no signs saying no trespassing". So I'm not sure what the criteria is for when the fences/postings are needed, verses when they are "implied".

yes but you can legally walk into someones yard & down the sidewalk,
Or across the grass to a person standing in the yard.
And if the home owner calls the police & wants to have you arrested,
He better have signs , or at least proof he told you to leave & you refused.

I think this is the real loop hole, for signs being necessary.

now if you start digging , Sun tanning, or Building a car port, you better have invite :laughing7:
or in the case of sun tanning an irresistible female bod.

I stopped at this place once while it was out of business.
there were no trespassing signs surrounding the park
and a man mowing grass in the center, I stood beside the one sign
waved to get his attention, And requested permission to approach.

Untitledn.jpg

just the difference from signs & no signs.
No signs I would have walked straight over to him.

Last edited:

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm from OK and it is fairly common here that if you are trespassing, signs or not, you get shot, then the police are called if the shot person feels like calling them to cry about he was only trespassing/stealing and some guy protecting his property shot him. To which most police reply with, welp you shouldn't have been there to start with.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from OK and it is fairly common here that if you are trespassing, signs or not, you get shot, then the police are called if the shot person feels like calling them to cry about he was only trespassing/stealing and some guy protecting his property shot him. To which most police reply with, welp you shouldn't have been there to start with.

Yeah, that's a lie and you know it. Post to any news article or police report of an unarmed person being shot for tresspassing without going to jail for murder / attempted homicide. You've been listening to too many tales about the "hillbillies" in SE OK.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yeah, that's a lie and you know it. Post to any news article or police report of an unarmed person being shot for tresspassing without going to jail for murder / attempted homicide. You've been listening to too many tales about the "hillbillies" in SE OK.

Jason, I have to chuckle at how many times this fear of being "shot" is put out there, as well.

One time I hiked into a mountanous hilly region, in search of a country picnic site I'd been researching. Just "helped myself" to the country dirt roads that laced through strawberry fields, then up higher to random pastures, etc... Later, while still researching the location, I got acquainted with an older lady nearby. I asked her if she knew where this site was. As she & I compared notes, I mentioned to her that I'd already hiked up such & such way, and explored various canyons and draws (pointing off yonder in the direction that could be seen from her house). She said "I'm surprised you didn't get shot with buckshot", or something to that effect. So yes, I hear this quite often too.

And sure, I'm sure there's probably no doubt an example somewhere, somehow, of some vigilante going to some extreme like that. (shooting someone for stepping off the sidewalk, or shooting someone for picking an apple off the wrong tree, etc...). But ... sheesk, with the regularity that the fear comes up (that we are all supposed to be leary of), you'd think that navy seal commandos lurk around every corner, waiting to "shoot" people.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes with the exception of inner city gang shootings & racial shootings, I don't think there is that
many shootings over property going on

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is going around doing racial shootings?

I don't think anyone is "Going around" doing shootings. :tongue3:

But I'll bet there are some people along the border who think they have a right to shoot anyone
who comes on their property, & if they choose to do so, they are using the trespassers nationality
as their excuse :( & I do believe crime watch groups profile too

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300

Good idea, you wouldn't want to run over any metal and damage your mower or worse create shrapnel and hit somebody. Do they pay you to mow?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread