Is it my metal detector or my technique thats bad?

zeusophobia

Greenie
Jun 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it my metal detector or my technique that's bad?

I'm using a Bounty Hunter pioneer ex.

I had a friend bury some coins in a small area where I didn't know where they were. As it turns out, the metal detector only picks them up when I go over the area VERY VERY slowly.

I spent 2 hours on the beach today and all I found was a penny.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm using a Bounty Hunter pioneer ex.

I had a friend bury some coins in a small area where I didn't know where they were. As it turns out, the metal detector only picks them up when I go over the area VERY VERY slowly.

I spent 2 hours on the beach today and all I found was a penny.

zeusophobia,

Without more detail, such as which B.H. Pioneer model you have, (501, 503, 505), what hunting mode (All Metal, Discrimination) or the settings you were using, it is hard to give specific advice.
Therefore, for now, I can only give some general suggestions.

Work on maintaining a positive attitude and don't become discouraged. Remember that you can't find coins on the beach if they aren't there ! :laughing7:

Hunt in All Metal mode with good coil control. Concentrate on keeping your coil close to the ground, maintaining consistent coil distance to the ground or sand as best you can. Overlap your coil swings and moving the coil "slowly" keeps you from missing targets.

After you get a target signal in AM mode, move your coil over the target in several directions to get an idea of the size, shape and tone of the target....is it round or long like a nail or jewelry chain......this coupled with the tone characteristics, smooth or scratchy, will help you decide what the target might be and whether or not to spend time digging. Otherwise, do like a lot of folks and dig all signals ("Beep-Dig" hunting) and let your eyes determine what the target is. Once in a while, what you suspect is a trash target turns out to be a jewelry item !

I could go on and on with more target signal types, but suggest you read some good books for this information. For example, the post I did recently in the T'Net Recommended Reading forum located in Research/Techniques mentions a book that I highly recommend for this type of info..

Good Hunting !

ToddB64

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zeusophobia

Greenie
Jun 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zeusophobia,

Without more detail, such as which B.H. Pioneer model you have, (501, 503, 505), what hunting mode (All Metal, Discrimination) or the settings you were using, it is hard to give specific advice.
Therefore, for now, I can only give some general suggestions.

Work on maintaining a positive attitude and don't become discouraged. Remember that you can't find coins on the beach if they aren't there ! :laughing7:

Hunt in All Metal mode with good coil control. Concentrate on keeping your coil close to the ground, maintaining consistent coil distance to the ground or sand as best you can. Overlap your coil swings and moving the coil "slowly" keeps you from missing targets.

After you get a target signal in AM mode, move your coil over the target in several directions to get an idea of the size, shape and tone of the target....is it round or long like a nail or jewelry chain......this coupled with the tone characteristics, smooth or scratchy, will help you decide what the target might be and whether or not to spend time digging. Otherwise, do like a lot of folks and dig all signals ("Beep-Dig" hunting) and let your eyes determine what the target is. Once in a while, what you suspect is a trash target turns out to be a jewelry item !

I could go on and on with more target signal types, but suggest you read some good books for this information. For example, the post I did recently in the T'Net Recommended Reading forum located in Research/Techniques mentions a book that I highly recommend for this type of info..

Good Hunting !

ToddB64

Thanks for the advice. I took the thing out in my front yard today, and found some coins. They were new, but it was a lot of fun finding them.

The thing beeps every time I go over cement. Probably not much of a problem because I can't dig through cement anyways, although I've had to make myself a rule that I will no longer dig at cracks in the sidewalk.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit the spots where there were 4th of July crowds. Wish me luck, but thanks to your tips I might not need it.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. I took the thing out in my front yard today, and found some coins. They were new, but it was a lot of fun finding them.

The thing beeps every time I go over cement. Probably not much of a problem because I can't dig through cement anyways, although I've had to make myself a rule that I will no longer dig at cracks in the sidewalk.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit the spots where there were 4th of July crowds. Wish me luck, but thanks to your tips I might not need it.

Hey while we are at it, welcome to TNet! You couldn't have picked a better spot to learn from, nor could you find a nicer group of friends here. Welcome!

Cement: Usually cement/concrete is poured over a grid of rebar and steel mesh as reinforcement. Avoid it. You'll only get ferrous signals that lie to you, pretending they are non-ferrous wannabes. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread