Is it possible??

Jan 17, 2009
I have read the post about percentages of copper pennies collected by some of you. It looks like it is possible to get about 20% copper. So, I was thinking if you purchased $200.00 worth of pennies; you might get about $40.00 worth of copper pennies. These $40.00 worth will bring from 3 to 4 cents each on eBay or from a buyer of wheat pennies, or $120.00 profit. I know this can not be right. Can someone kindly set me straight on my math? Thank you, Bryan

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Copper (1959-1982), pennies are worth about $.02 melt.
There is a limited market where you can get about 1.15 to 1.2 face for them.
Wheat pennies bring 3 to 4 cents and you may find about 7 per $25 box on average, more or less depending on your location.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I see them selling for face + 50%. $100 in copper selling for $150. You have shipping and fees so there's a profit to be had but it's not 3 or 4x.

I also think supply is greater than demand for now. Once it's legal to melt them, I think this will change. The smelters will have an almost unlimited demand and will buy them up. Then it will be a question of whether it's worth the effort to pull them out of circulation. A Ryedale would pay for itself quickly I would think.

JasonB

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know other disagree but I dont see the ban on melting ever lifted. Just my 2 cents.

SilverMiser

Sep 2, 2009
you are confusing wheats with copper. You will not find $40 worth of wheats in $200 worth of pennies. You might find $40 worth in copper. I only average about 9 wheats per $25 or 72 wheats per $200.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
The ban will only be lifted after the end of the cent. I see that 2011 at the soonest they already have a new design for 2010. One day it will pay off though I think. And if nothing else its a saveings account lol

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
It might be a possibility if we go to a world currency. Wait for the dollar to drop.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Even if the ban isnt lifted they might not enforce it because either it is a waste of time or it gets challenged legally.

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
Either way, success = Preparation + opportunity. I'd rather be hoarding now than wait until it is lifted and/or they end the penny and everyone and their momma is scrambling to get copper pennies. I think of it like silver in the 60's. If I were alive then to hoard a ton of silver it would have been so easy! (Woodstock would have been sweet, too.) So instead I hoard copper now. Sometimes I feel foolish spending so much time just for a few extra pennies, but I think it will turn out to be a good move in the end. Somehow...

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
the way i look at it is they will always be worth at least what you paid for them, so why not put some aside. also copper is a commodity and its prices rise and fall according to demand. if the demand is high enough whats to say they won't lift the ban.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread