Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends I got a permission to hunt an old farm house in rural WV the last person to live on the place was in 1958, The house is in ruins although falling in on itself, there are sheet of metal roofing around on the ground. I hit the ground with high anticipation, and found only iron. I will go back!, but must say I am mildly disappointed I was running my AT Pro in Pro zero with 35 points of Iron disc. and hitting the Iron audio button as well. I did get a solid 75, and it was repeatable turn out to be a used up tube of some kind of sauve. ! as far as finds I have what looks like might be a small Hatchett head. I will go back and study what might have been paths of human travel like to and from the spring house or root cellar. ! so is it possible that no one dropped a coin? HH

and for history sake, the last person to live in the house was 102 years old

Upvote 0
OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I thought! I will be back !

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try lowering iron disc to 22 , might help--tom

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for where the clothesline was and maybe an outhouse or where they parked the car Places like that are tough hunts but there should be good stuff there. Good luck

HH, Relic Nut

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes you have to go a few times before you find anything good. Try again, and again!

I have been to places that looked AWESOME... and did not find anything good. I have been to places that I thought were a total waste of time, and found good stuff.

Dig all repeatable signals, just to see what is there. If you uncover old items, keep the search up. We have places that are infested with iron, other people won't hunt them... however, if you try really hard, they will yield good targets occasionally... yeah, you dig a ton of junk, but once in a while... an LC shows up and makes it all worthwhile. This one "appeared" last Wednesday night, right where myself and many others have checked dozens of times!

Attachments

• IMG_20160511_184752_912-1.jpg
    IMG_20160511_184752_912-1.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 85

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for where the clothesline was and maybe an outhouse or where they parked the car Places like that are tough hunts but there should be good stuff there. Good luck

HH, Relic Nut

+1 on this suggestion. If there are any old photos of the property back when it was lived in, those would be helpful. Have you tried raising the discrim on your machine, just to see if you can cherry pick any coins? Maybe that would be worth a shot. Also keep in mind where you found that hatchet head. Could be a spot where someone spend a lot of time doing work, increasing the chance they dropped a coin or two over time. Best of luck and happy hunting.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
1958 and the person was 102. You have to go back, they lived through some interesting times. Surely you will find a jar or two with a nice shocker in it.

Well do you know if anyone else has ever gotten to hunt the place?

I am sure you will find something nice.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH, Relic Nut
Another thought----------------------look for where coins would roll to when the owner pulled his house key from his pocket.
Marvin

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Detector(s) used
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great tips, I will use them and I will be back for certain !

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the great tips, I will use them and I will be back for certain !

Keep us posted, I am sure you will find something good. I would take my time, swing it nice and slow, check floor boards, wall panels, ceiling. attic, cellar, around steps, under the porch, walk ways, next to old trees or large stones, even look for something that could have been a beaten path at one point, a shallow trail worn down; find where the old garden used to be.

You are going to find some cool stuff, just do not forget to share it on here.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No lead, shotgun shells, buttons, buckles, drawer pulls, clock guts or nothing? Just iron? I would say it's been picked to death already.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a site like that; so much trash it's unbelievable. I have found a few older coins including a flying eagle cent but no silver yet. I'm convinced that some people took very good care of their money because they didn't have much of it. They may have dropped some coins but maybe not too many so you have to work harder to get them.

OTOH, I hit a site a few years ago where I dug a bunch of silver coins in a few hours. I later found out that wealthy city people used to come to this place to hunt, fish and swim. I guess if they had money to burn they weren't as concerned about dropping a few coins. You just never know what really happened anywhere until you start digging things up. Sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason in this hobby.

But in a trashy site you'll have to remove lots of trash to find what's hiding in it. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread