Is it safe to leave your stuff out of your sight?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it safe to leave your belongings out where you live, or do you fear that the backpack or fishing rod you absent mindedly leave behind will grow legs and walk away?

In my part of town, we only have two rules- keep your hands off of other people's stuff, and try not to kill anyone.

What's it like where you are at?

No.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live out in the country, well a couple miles out of town
rarely lock the doors and my keys are always in my truck outside

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure. I pick up after myself. ;-)

Here at home it's pretty good. Few neighbors and we all know each other. We did lose a pair of kayaks that were beside the driveway - but that was probably someone passing through. That's the only things we've had stolen here. The barn is full of tools and doesn't lock.

I do lock my car in town.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I never want to see my stuff again, it goes to the curb. Between scrapers and salvagers, nothing disposed of sticks around for more than an hour.
I will lock my vehicles EVERY time, every week we got 2 or 3 zit faced kids getting caught burglarizing cars overnight, different parts of town....usually in Cape Coral, or Lehigh Acres....never in the hood though, imagine that.
I'll never leave my detector in the back of my pickup, overnight....like I did the other night....I was pissed at myself, couldn't believe I did that.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live out in the country, well a couple miles out of town
rarely lock the doors and my keys are always in my truck outside

Same here, what if somebody needs the car to get to the hospital? Although, I did catch a Deputy going inside my vehicle without my permission once. Must have been new on the job 'cause we trust our neighbors not to be snoopy. Had to to talk some sense into him, see rule #2.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fenced yard with Roxy......

roxy badass (400x300).jpg

Plus We are all armed, Me, wife and daughter.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't used to have to but last year my garage door cable jumped a pulley when I went to put it down at the end of the day so I left it up and figured I would fix it in the morning. Well someone decided they needed some of my tools more than I did that night and took WHAT WAS MINE!!! We keep every door locked now which is sad. My neighbors had their door kicked in and their house robbed about two weeks ago when they went to church...the Sheriff said someone had to of been watching to know when they leave and come back. We live a couple of miles outside of a small quiet town and have never had any trouble until recently. I think drugs have a lot to do with it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Our nearest neighbor is 5 miles away and it's rare that a vehicle even passes by on the road. Even so, we have had people stop in now and then who were up to no good. We have since let it be known in the area that we have security cameras (got to use the recordings in court!! :thumbsup: ) so we haven't had any problems since then. We now have quite many cameras and recorders. Still, it's a good habit to keep things put up for the most part. If we can't see it from a house window (clear 'shot'! :laughing7: ), then it's put away, or it's not worth taking to begin with.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I live on an island with a bridge to the mainland. It is very safe here but we do have a few local crack heads that steal mail and whatever they can get their hands on I guess.

They showed up in my driveway one day, just sat there with their engine running. Probably just to see if anyone was home.

Came outside with my shotgun, asked what the F they wanted, and they have not been back. It has been a few years.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious as to why you asked the question. As far as my neighborhood goes I'd be surprised if i left something and it was still there. I too have security cameras and have caught some lowlifes on video. Good thing for them I didn't see it real time.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even trust my neighbors sometimes. Lock doors and cars. If you don't mind it disappearing then leave it out, and be surprised if it stayed overnight.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want it taken, leave it out, unlocked and uncovered, it will be gone by morning. Two years ago while moving, I set out broken fans, shoe racks stereo stands, old aquariums and they were gone within an hour and we saw some of the vehicles that stopped and it was all types. Set out an old upright freezer and desk. Gone like ghosts in the night. I always lock the cars, hide anything of value in the trunk and lock up the rest in the house and have deadbolts on all doors and replace the screws in the door frame with extra long ones for better hold. Windows never left open on first floor at night with out some sort of limiter so that they can't get pushed further up and my gun hangs from the bed with a flashlight.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the suburbs of big city. My car is always locked, even in my own driveway. My house doors are locked if I am inside and even if I am outside mowing or doing my yardwork. I have wonderful neighbors and we each watch each others homes, but I still wouldn't leave something valuable in the yard.

And of course, I have a good security system that I always use, even if running to the store for a just a minute. I have had one ever since I saw what I thought was a poor homeless man wheeling his belongings down the street only to pull into my driveway and discover I had been burglarized and those were MY belongings he was wheeling.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
On my first trip to Finland, I was surprised to discover the different door locks and keys that they used there. There was a switch on the lock where you could set the lock to function like locks here, or flip the switch where you need a key to open the door e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e t-i-m-e! What was surprising was that Finland had such a low crime rate, and violent crime was virtually non-existent. During that same trip, I had the chance to be in the way of a large group of people - what I would later learn was a local gang. It was late at night on the dimly-lit streets in town, and not a soul around save for me and these 50 or so people. Shoot, if I was back in Texas, I'd have been dead in a heartbeat!! But this "gang" was super-mild!! Many were carrying baseball bats or pipes, but all went well. All younger folks. Lots of girls also, which I wouldn't expect to see (in that era) in a supposedly bad-azz street gang.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the most part yes it is safe.
to leave stuff outside my House & even outside my property.

I'm also Sure I could leave My detector on a Park Bench
& go Home. & If I rush Back it will still be there. But
overnight ? 50/50

don't get me wrong, if for instance I leave my detector along side a Highway
I wouldn't Expect the same. Just Like I road Hunt for Keepers,
I expect others do too.

& if I'm ever at a park & see a Detector on a Bench, I will stake it out
from a point it looks like it's Mine. to everyone but the Owner. till dusk.
And if it's still there , It will go home with me. after which I will watch for
lost adds in the local papers & Police Blotters to see if it was reported missing.
But after a reasonable Time, I'd keep it, Just like I'd expect the same If I was so
neglectful & uncaring about my property.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in a smaller town in Ohio, people even ask if they can take your trash from the curb most of the time.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Never locked the old truck, only worth $1000, so just left the keys in the console, that way I can't lose them. Have to lock the new truck... at least until I'm done with the payments.

I lock the doors at the house, but I really don't need to do so.

As others indicated, we are gun people, do not break in, there is nothing in my house worth your life!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread