Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image.jpg

goldenwonderbear

Feb 27, 2014
CA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give us some real close up pix? Do you think it is embedded w/ garnets? Good luck......................h

OP
OP
T

Traceejean

Mar 28, 2018
Big pine ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the luck �� here is a close up of the rock ? Also there are some broken pieces from the rock it !!! image.jpg

goldenwonderbear

Feb 27, 2014
CA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Pine sure is pretty. I'm down here in near the Border. I have seen rocks w/ clusters of garnets found by miners (Friends of mine) from Pauma Valley; Never w/ such variety though. Last time i was in Big Pine it was tiny (about like the town where i lived). Maybe they are large enough to have a rock-hound's or mineral collector's club. I'll bet you could get good help there. More good luck..............h

OP
OP
T

Traceejean

Mar 28, 2018
Big pine ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea I grew up here until the age of ten then moved to northern ca about four years ago moved bk to big pine tonbe with my family .
Big pine is very beautiful never realy got out into though
Love it and it’s so beautiful some days I’m just in awe by it .
As for the rocks I know it’s weird how every time I go out I come home with a rock that is interesting or that has Chrystal’s or something the other day I found a rock where silver on it at first I thought it was pieces of aluminium foil but it’s hard so a rock I’ll post it later and thanks for the luck ..you too

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you taken Mc Murry Meadows rd ? Crater Mountain will be on left side as your driving that road there has got to be some good rocks in that area. Also about 2-3 miles in on your right hand side are some nice formations of rock, here is a photo. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCN4681.JPG
    DSCN4681.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 105

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice specimen! While it is likely not worth more than a few dollars, I suppose that someone might pay $10 to $20 for it but I could be wrong and someone might pay more. The Garnets and matrix appear to be Almandine Garnets which are often opaque but your' specimen has some on the surface of the host rock that appear somewhat translucent, so the Garnets could possibly be another type such as Rhodolite that are somewhat impure. Acid etching would likely bring out more of the Garnet matrix and enhance the larger ones that are on the surface but use extreme caution if you decide to go this route and strictly follow the precautions and warnings.

Cleaning mineral specimens: a guide for mineral collectors and field collectors on home techniques.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread