Is it worth keeping Ikes??

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cashed 200 in to day ?? for $200 great deal i got my money back!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My buddy buys all that I can find for him (at face), for he and his family spend them in Jamaica while on vacation.
The locals just love those huge boat anchors!

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been holding on to abou 50 of them for months now. I have made my rounds at the coin shops and put them up on Craigslist but nobody around here wants them so I have been spending a few here and there. You think you get some crazy looks when you spend some halves, just wait till you hand the cashier a few Ikes!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a few yesterday getting breakfast and the cashier called them "silver dollars."

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it worth keeping them? Probably not.
Is it worth hunting them? I think so - in moderation.

There is a very slim chance that you will come across peace or morgans when hunting large dollar coins. There is a slim, but slightly better, chance that you will come across 40% Ikes. In any event, my opinion is that it is cool to have some clad Ikes on hand. They are fun to spend, give as gifts, etc. As others have mentioned, you can't always reliably get more than face value for them today. Some have had very good success, others not so much. If your area doesn't support a market for them, I wouldn't hold out too much hope on holding them for speculation.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it worth keeping them? Probably not.
Is it worth hunting them? I think so - in moderation.

There is a very slim chance that you will come across peace or morgans when hunting large dollar coins. There is a slim, but slightly better, chance that you will come across 40% Ikes. In any event, my opinion is that it is cool to have some clad Ikes on hand. They are fun to spend, give as gifts, etc. As others have mentioned, you can't always reliably get more than face value for them today. Some have had very good success, others not so much. If your area doesn't support a market for them, I wouldn't hold out too much hope on holding them for speculation.
A single MS '72 T2 ike is worth more than three common-date silver dollars. Food for thought.

I've found 5 Morgans, 1 Peace, 1 40% ike, and 10 '72 T2 Ikes.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
A single MS '72 T2 ike is worth more than three common-date silver dollars. Food for thought.

I've found 5 Morgans, 1 Peace, 1 40% ike, and 10 '72 T2 Ikes.

That's a definitive answer on Ikes. $1100 of value for $17 face. Hunt those big dollars!

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a definitive answer on Ikes. $1100 of value for $17 face. Hunt those big dollars!

Not that much, only three of those T2's were MS. The others are mostly low AU, with an XF or two. XF's will bring about 30-40, AU's 45-60, low MS's about 80, MS63 is the first $100 one... a MS65, though, if you find one of those... Easily $1500.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Not that much, only three of those T2's were MS. The others are mostly low AU, with an XF or two. XF's will bring about 30-40, AU's 45-60, low MS's about 80, MS63 is the first $100 one... a MS65, though, if you find one of those... Easily $1500.

It's good to have a dialogue with someone who's had success with big dollars. Are these loose tray finds? Or, have you searched vault bags?

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
It's good to have a dialogue with someone who's had success with big dollars. Are these loose tray finds? Or, have you searched vault bags?

Never managed to find bags, all came from hoards dropped off at random banks. I've probably got somewhere around 200 that would grade 64 or better as well.

I've searched somewhere around 5k ikes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread