Is it worth searching?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I live in Annapolis just a couple of miles outside historic Annapolis and the naval academy is it worth my time to search the woods where people probably didn't not search?

Well, the others have said to "try it and see" and "good stuff can be anywhere", etc... But I would say that ... no ... you just don't go to "any old woods" and forests, etc... There needs to have been something going on there. Ie.: a camp, or a stage stop, or some ruins (cellar hole, foundations, stage stop, etc...). To just be "in the middle of nowhere", no, I don't think that's worth your time. Perhaps in Europe where they have 2000 to 3000 yrs. of metal -carrying history. Then yes, random cultivated fields, forests, etc... But here, our history is just too young. So you'd need to research the particular forest/woods you're at, to see if there were structures, camps, cross-roads, stage stop, or some such reason for people to have congregated.

And although Annapolis is old and historic area, yet ... "a couple of miles" from there might as well be a million miles. Your activity/congregating needs to be closer than "a couple of miles" .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "X" factor in this is that you may find a great spot that NOBODY knows about. Not likely, but if you do, you may hit the jackpot. That's one of the driving forces in this hobby.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, this area has had more people than most, costs you nothing to try, and regardless of what's been said, you really never know. Years ago while in Spain me and the wife went to the beach to treasure hunt... But because it was mid-day and really hot we followed a dirt road back under some pine trees where we could have shade and eat lunch... I started detecting and literally walked onto a Napoleonic battle / skirmish site. Lots of canon balls, buttons, musket balls, all sorts of stuff came from there... Who knew????

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's worth hunting if you have the time and no better place to hunt. At a minimum you will stop wondering if it was a good spot to hunt.

Best of luck,

Pete

Hawkeye35

Feb 16, 2014
You live in Maryland! People carrying metal have been traipsing around the east coast for over 400 years. Any place is a good place if you haven't searched it before. Especially on the east coast. Who can tell you where people have been in the past? Nobody! If we all keep looking in the obvious places we're not gonna find any surprises.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never walked into a woods and found nothing. In fact I am surprised the amount of iron targets that are everywhere. I don't think there is many places on earth that have any population at all where people have not worked or lived in the past.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It highly unlikely that the woods are old growth in your area. They were likely used in various capacities over the years. A quick scout will give you a clue as yo whether or not there has been a lot of human activity there. Iron, pottery, brick, etc. are all clues. Research is your friend, but there s nothing wrong with exploring.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Founds some cool things at house that has no record of being there I can assume there was a house there cuz when I was digging there was a lot if brick and oyster shells in the ground I found a few ornate relics and a coin and old token

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no bad place to hunt as long as you have permission. A wooded area can be frustrating but if you read Tnet enough you will see there have been some great finds in the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread